Generalizing the special principle of relativity?

In summary: The laws of physics are generally covariant. That means they take the same form in any reference frame, inertial or not.
dEdt
I usually read the (special) principle of relativity stated along the lines of: "the laws of physics take the same form in all inertial reference frames". Here's my question: can we generalize this by saying that the laws of physics take in same form in any two reference frames-- perhaps noninertial ones -- moving with constant velocity relative to one another?

I can't think of a counterexample, but I'd like the input of other people.

Physics news on Phys.org
The laws of physics are generally covariant. That says it all!

Bill_K said:
The laws of physics are generally covariant. That says it all!

Surely you are aware that the relevance and meaning of general covariance has been disputed since 1917, at least:

http://www.pitt.edu/~jdnorton/papers/decades_re-set.pdf

The laws of physics are invariant under any continuous, differentiable remapping of positions in spacetime.

The laws of physics are also invariant under any continuous, differentiable, and local rotation of fields in spacetime.

Muphrid said:
The laws of physics are invariant under any continuous, differentiable remapping of positions in spacetime.

The laws of physics are also invariant under any continuous, differentiable, and local rotation of fields in spacetime.

The problem is, as Kretschman showed in 1917, any laws (specifically either Newton's Gravity or Special Relativity) can be expressed in a way to meet the above propositions. See the reference I cited as well has hundreds of discussions of these points in the literature.

Surely you are aware that the relevance and meaning of general covariance has been disputed since 1917, at least:
No, I must admit I'm not aware of it at all. Even after a full career devoted to GR I've never heard anyone question general covariance. Perhaps that comes from talking to physicists rather than philosophers.

I didn't say that general covariance marks the distinction between special and general relativity, or anything like that. General covariance applies to special relativity just as well. "The laws of physics are generally covariant" is a universal requirement. If you want to consider coordinate systems which are not Minkowskian, you can do so in either theory, and this does not say anything at all about a property of the gravitational field.

Likes peety
The problem is, as Kretschman showed in 1917, any laws (specifically either Newton's Gravity or Special Relativity) can be expressed in a way to meet the above propositions. See the reference I cited as well has hundreds of discussions of these points in the literature.

Indeed, I won't dispute that; in the end, this statement about, essentially, gauge invariance is indifferent to what the invariant laws of physics actually are. [itex]G_{\mu \nu} = \kappa T_{\mu \nu}[/itex] does not and cannot arise from that magically. Separating the basic idea of invariance under coordinate transformations from the actual physical content of the theory is something I find useful, though.

Bill_K said:
No, I must admit I'm not aware of it at all. Even after a full career devoted to GR I've never heard anyone question general covariance. Perhaps that comes from talking to physicists rather than philosophers.

I didn't say that general covariance marks the distinction between special and general relativity, or anything like that. General covariance applies to special relativity just as well. "The laws of physics are generally covariant" is a universal requirement. If you want to consider coordinate systems which are not Minkowskian, you can do so in either theory, and this does not say anything at all about a property of the gravitational field.

MTW has a section on this, mentioning Kretschmann, and the dispute, and basically proposing a variant of Anderson's approach to an alternative principle that has meaning. Anderson's (1967 book) was my first introduction to the dispute and an approach to an alternative principle that has some real meaning.

[EDIT: MTW actually goes through a complete derivation and discussion that Newtonian physics including gravity can be formulated as a generally covariant theory.]

Last edited:
Muphrid said:
Indeed, I won't dispute that; in the end, this statement about, essentially, gauge invariance is indifferent to what the invariant laws of physics actually are. [itex]G_{\mu \nu} = \kappa T_{\mu \nu}[/itex] does not and cannot arise from that magically. Separating the basic idea of invariance under coordinate transformations from the actual physical content of the theory is something I find useful, though.

I absolutely agree. Further, I think there are imperfect, but useful, alternative principles (e.g. Anderson's as discussed in the reference) that have real utility in choosing physical laws. Similarly, the Principal of Equivalence is imperfect, disputed as to its precise formulation, but I side with its conceptual utility.

Ha, well, I must admit that this discussion of GR went over my head, so I'll rephrase my question:

In special relativity, do the laws of physics take the same form in any two reference frames-- perhaps noninertial ones -- moving with constant velocity relative to one another?

One thing I would add is that even though general covariance may not be useful as a filter of physical laws, coordinate or diffeomorphism invariance is fundamental to distinguishing observables in GR. If you compute a purported observation in GR, and it is not invariant, then it is not an observable.

Last edited:
dEdt said:
Ha, well, I must admit that this discussion of GR went over my head, so I'll rephrase my question:

In special relativity, do the laws of physics take the same form in any two reference frames-- perhaps noninertial ones -- moving with constant velocity relative to one another?

I'll try to phrase this in a completely non-technical way. If you express laws in terms not motivated by GR (the way special relativity was formulated early in the 20th century), then the laws do not take the same form in non-inertial frames. Further, both SR and GR predict that an inertial frame is physically distinguishable from a non-inertial frame.

I think you misunderstood my question.

Suppose you have a non-inertial reference frame R. The physics in this frame is going to be a whole lot more complicated than in an inertial frame. For example, there'll be a host of inertial forces acting on things. Now suppose we have another non-inertial frame R' which is moving relative to R at a constant velocity. We can imagine that R and R' are both spaceships with their rockets firing, both accelerating at the same rate but moving relative to one another with a constant speed. Will the physics in R' appear the same?

dEdt said:
I think you misunderstood my question.

Suppose you have a non-inertial reference frame R. The physics in this frame is going to be a whole lot more complicated than in an inertial frame. For example, there'll be a host of inertial forces acting on things. Now suppose we have another non-inertial frame R' which is moving relative to R at a constant velocity. We can imagine that R and R' are both spaceships with their rockets firing, both accelerating at the same rate but moving relative to one another with a constant speed. Will the physics in R' appear the same?

Yes, essentially. Some interesting details (assuming they keep accelerating the same for a long time, starting from some initial relative velocity, in the same direction):

1) In an inertial frame, if they are accelerating the same, but with some starting difference in velocity, over time, they will both be moving at essentially the same speed relative to the inertial frame - nearly c.

2) Relative to each other, their speed will not become the same [in fact, their speed relative to each other will approach c], and one will eventually 'disappear' relative to the other - it will be inside the other's Rindler Horizon, and light it emits will never catch up with the other. For example, A will see B red shift and disappear; However, B will continue to be able to see A.

However, each will have the same physics inside each rocket - the difference in starting velocity will be completely undetectable inside the rockets.

Last edited:
Ha, that's some wild stuff. Thanks!

Related to Generalizing the special principle of relativity?

1. What is the special principle of relativity?

The special principle of relativity, also known as the principle of relativity, states that the laws of physics are the same for all observers in uniform motion.

2. How does the special principle of relativity differ from the general principle of relativity?

The special principle of relativity only applies to observers in uniform motion, while the general principle of relativity applies to all observers, including those in non-uniform motion.

3. Why is it important to generalize the special principle of relativity?

Generalizing the special principle of relativity allows us to better understand the behavior of objects in all types of motion, including non-uniform motion. It also helps to reconcile the theory of relativity with other laws of physics, such as the laws of gravity.

4. How does the generalization of the special principle of relativity impact our understanding of time and space?

The generalization of the special principle of relativity leads to the concept of spacetime, where time and space are considered to be interconnected and relative to the observer's frame of reference. This means that time and space can appear to be different for different observers.

5. Are there any practical applications of generalizing the special principle of relativity?

Yes, the generalization of the special principle of relativity has many practical applications, including the development of GPS technology and the understanding of the behavior of particles in particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in space exploration and understanding the behavior of objects in extreme environments, such as near black holes.