Generalized coordinates of a couple harmonic oscillator

In summary, the system of a square plate supported by four springs requires three generalized coordinates to be described completely. These include two angles to measure the tilting in the xz and yz planes, and a displacement coordinate to measure the movement of the center of the plate from its undisturbed position. This is necessary because the springs are not all identical, and therefore the motion of the plate is affected differently by each spring. Without these three coordinates, the motion of the system cannot be fully described.
phagist_

Homework Statement

Suppose there is a square plate, of side a and mass M, whose
corners are supported by massless springs, with spring constants K, K, K, and k <= K
(the faulty one). The springs are confined so that they stretch and compress vertically,
with unperturbed length L. The density of the plate is uniform.

(it's a car so the square plate is the chassis and the springs are the suspension)

Explain why the system requires three generalised coordinates to be described
completely.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm just really having a hard time visualizing the actual motion of the plate on the springs.

I know there should be a generalized coordinate associated with the displacement of the spring, for each spring.. but I can't make the connection and reduce the number to 3 generalized coordinates, as specified.

I'm thinking that the springs on opposite corners are somehow related..i.e as one goes up the other goes down, but what happens to the 2 other springs in this case?

thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using angles ;))

How many angles do you need, to describe it if all of the springs were identical? ;)

Now what else changes when you replace one of the springs ;D

the angles taken from where? I'm trying to visualise the motion of the system, but I'm really struggling.

The angles taken from a plane parallel to the square plate.. so that the angle of deflection downward (at one spring) would equal the angle of deflection upward on the opposite side (for the opposite spring)

So you need 2 generalized coordinates if all the springs were the same.. but since they aren't you need on angle to describe the two opposite springs with the same spring constant, and then one more angle each for the remaining springs?

..is my reasoning correct?

No that's not quite correct.

Just to visualize, we put it in an xyz coordinate system

You need two angles, in the case when all the springs are the same. One of the angles, measure the tilting in the xz plane, and the other the tilting in the yz plane. With these two angles all other tilting combinations can be expressed. Now we don't need another coordinate, since in this case when every spring is the same, the center of the plate doesn't move vertically.

So if we replace one of the springs, then what other information do we need, other than the tilting ;)

I got to run now, but I'll have a think about it and hopefully get back to you tomorrow.

Thanks for your time Thaakisfox, much appreciated.

bump: so the centre of the plate moves vertically if one of the springs is different?

and the generalized coordinates are 2 angles (measuring the tilt in each plane) and a displacement coordinate measuring the displacement of the centre of the plane from it's undisturbed position?

how do you know that the centre of the plane won't move if all the springs are identical?
(sorry if the questions seems silly or vague, but I've never dealt with a system configured as above)

Related to Generalized coordinates of a couple harmonic oscillator

1. What are generalized coordinates?

Generalized coordinates are a set of independent variables that describe the configuration of a mechanical system. They are used to define the position and orientation of each individual particle or component of the system.

2. What is a couple harmonic oscillator?

A couple harmonic oscillator is a mechanical system that consists of two masses connected by a spring and a rigid rod. The two masses oscillate in opposite directions, creating a couple force that keeps the system in motion.

3. Why do we use generalized coordinates in a couple harmonic oscillator?

Generalized coordinates are used in a couple harmonic oscillator because they provide a more efficient and concise way to describe the motion of the system. They also make it easier to apply mathematical techniques, such as Hamilton's equations, for solving the equations of motion.

4. How do we determine the equations of motion for a couple harmonic oscillator using generalized coordinates?

The equations of motion for a couple harmonic oscillator can be determined by applying the Lagrangian formalism. This involves using the generalized coordinates to define the kinetic and potential energies of the system, and then using the Euler-Lagrange equations to derive the equations of motion.

5. What are some practical applications of a couple harmonic oscillator?

Couple harmonic oscillators have numerous practical applications, including in mechanical engineering, physics, and electrical engineering. They are used in devices such as shock absorbers, pendulum clocks, and electrical circuits to control and regulate motion and energy transfer.