Generalising the Ising model to multiple spin values

In summary, the conversation revolves around the partition function of a 1d closed chain model with spin configurations and the Hamiltonian function. The speaker suggests a bottom-up approach to writing down the partition function and clarifies that the sum of all spins is not relevant to the task. They also mention that the Hamiltonian is a function on individual states, not on sets of states.
TSRUser1234
My tutor asked us today to consider the partition function of the following model as an aside to our topic at the moment.
I went to work out the maths of it today and I'm quite stuck for how the calculation can proceed.

It's a 1d closed chain with some number, n, points. Each point has some value of spin associated with it, with the possible values ranging from -s to s in steps of 1.
With

H=gμB*(the sum over all of the possible spin configurations)
where mu is the bohr magneton.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's assume "the sum over all of the possible spin configurations" means "the sum of all spins" (I don't see how anything else could make sense as a factor in the Hamiltonian): You can directly write down the partition function. The canonical one is probably the most straightforward. Also, since there is no interaction term, the generic partition function can be simplified greatly (you'll probably see that once you get there - it's an interesting general result). If you don't know how to write down the partition function directly, approach the problem bottom-up. Write it down for 1 particle, then for 2, 3, then hopefully see a pattern. A bit tedious but there's nothing wrong with taking the pedestrian approach.

Okay thank you! It confuses me that the term means 'the sum of all spins' because in a system with one particle for example, if the spin may equal -s or -s+1 ... etc up to +s surely the sum of the spins is zero?

The spin may be equal to, say -1 or +1. But in a given state it is either +1 or -1, not both (ignoring QM for a second to keep it simple). I think I see where your problem lies and I thought about ways to explain the issue without giving you too much information about your homework. But I ended up deciding to give you a straight-up reply rather than trying to be cryptic for the sake of not being too clear:
The partition function for the canonical partition function (for example) is NOT exp(-beta * sum of the energies of all possible states). It is sum_over_all_possible_states[ exp(-beta * energy of the particular state) ]. Hence, your statement that the sum of all possible energies/spins equals zero is correct. But it is irrelevant for your task.
Sidenote: My assumption above that the sum in your H means the sum of all spins in a given state, and not the sum of all possible total spins of all possible spin combinations, comes from exactly this: Hamiltonians are functions on individual single- or multi-particle states, not on sets of such states.

Related to Generalising the Ising model to multiple spin values

1. What is the Ising model and how is it used in physics?

The Ising model is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of magnetic materials at a microscopic level. It is commonly used in physics to study phenomena such as phase transitions and critical behavior.

2. How does the Ising model generalize to multiple spin values?

The Ising model can be generalized to include multiple spin values by allowing for more than two possible spin orientations at each lattice site. This allows for a more complex representation of magnetic materials and can provide a more accurate description of their behavior.

3. What are some applications of generalizing the Ising model to multiple spin values?

The generalized Ising model has applications in various fields, such as material science, statistical physics, and computer science. It can be used to study magnetic materials with more than two spin orientations, as well as to model other physical and biological systems.

4. How does the generalization of the Ising model affect its computational complexity?

The computational complexity of the Ising model increases with the number of spin values that are included. This is because the number of possible configurations and interactions between spins increases, making it more difficult to simulate and analyze the system.

5. Are there any limitations to generalizing the Ising model to multiple spin values?

While generalizing the Ising model can provide a more accurate representation of certain systems, it also has limitations. For example, it may not be suitable for studying certain types of magnetic materials or systems with strong interactions between spins. Additionally, the increased computational complexity can make it difficult to analyze and interpret results.