General solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field

In summary, the solution for a purely spatial potential vector in the electromagnetic field can be written as a superposition of functions, given by an integral with a factor of ##\frac{d^3\mathbf{k}}{(2\pi)^3}##. This factor comes from the density of states in ##\mathbf{k}##-space. Summation is not appropriate for continuous variables, hence the use of an integral instead.
victorvmotti
Suppose that we have the four-vector potential of the electromagnetic field, [texA^i[/tex]

The wave equation is given by $$(\frac {1}{c^2} \frac {\partial^2}{\partial t^2}-\nabla^2) A^i=0$$

Now the solution, for a purely spatial potential vector, is given by

$$\mathbf{A}(t, \mathbf{x})=\mathbf{a_k} \exp{i(\pm \omega_{\mathbf{k}}t-\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{x}}); \mathbf{k}.\mathbf{a}=0$$

To find the general solution we write the superposition as

$$\mathbf{A}(t, \mathbf{x})=\int (\mathbf{f(k)}\exp{i( \omega_{\mathbf{k}}t-\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{x}})+\mathbf{g(k)}\exp{-i( \omega_{\mathbf{k}}t+\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{x}})) \frac {d^3 \mathbf{k}}{(2 \pi)^3}$$

My question is that where this $$\frac {d^3 \mathbf{k}}{(2 \pi)^3}$$

comes from? Shouldn't it be $$d^3\mathbf{x}$$

Physics news on Phys.org
victorvmotti said:
My question is that where this $$\frac {d^3 \mathbf{k}}{(2 \pi)^3}$$

comes from? Shouldn't it be $$d^3\mathbf{x}$$
It comes from the density of states in ##\mathbf{k}##-space. If you were to integrate over ##d^3\mathbf{x}##, you wouldn't get the vector potential as a function of ##\mathbf{x}##, would you?

Why we do not say that $$\mathbf{A}(t, \mathbf{x})=\sum_{\mathbf{f(k)}\mathbf{g(k)}} (\mathbf{f(k)}\exp{i( \omega_{\mathbf{k}}t-\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{x}})+\mathbf{g(k)}\exp{-i( \omega_{\mathbf{k}}t+\mathbf{k}.\mathbf{x}})) $$

Isn't superposition simply given by the above sum? Why and how we transform to the integral?

Isnt' k a continuous variable? How could you sum after its continuous values?

instead?

I can provide an explanation for the general solution to the wave equation of the electromagnetic field. The solution provided is a standard form of the solution, which is known as the plane wave solution. In this solution, we consider the electromagnetic field as a superposition of many plane waves with different frequencies and wave vectors. The integral in the solution represents the summation of all these plane waves.

Now, coming to the question about the differentials, it is important to note that the integral represents the sum over all possible values of the wave vector $\mathbf{k}$. Therefore, the differential used in the integral should also be in terms of the wave vector $\mathbf{k}$, which is represented by $d^3\mathbf{k}$. This is because the wave vector $\mathbf{k}$ is a three-dimensional vector and the integral is over all possible values of $\mathbf{k}$, hence the $d^3\mathbf{k}$. This is also known as the Fourier transform in the wave vector space.

On the other hand, the differential $d^3\mathbf{x}$ represents the volume element in real space, and it is not applicable here because the integral is not over all possible values of position in space, but over all possible values of the wave vector $\mathbf{k}$.

In summary, the use of $d^3\mathbf{k}$ in the integral is correct and necessary to represent the summation over all possible values of the wave vector $\mathbf{k}$. It is important to understand the physical meaning and context of the differential used in the integral.

Related to General solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field

1. What is the wave equation of electromagnetic field?

The wave equation of electromagnetic field, also known as Maxwell's equations, describes the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in space. It is a set of four differential equations that govern the propagation of electromagnetic waves.

2. What is the general solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field?

The general solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field is a combination of sinusoidal functions that represent the electric and magnetic fields. The specific form of the solution depends on the boundary conditions and the source of the electromagnetic waves.

3. What are the physical implications of the general solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field?

The general solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field helps us understand the properties and behavior of electromagnetic waves, such as their speed, polarization, and interference patterns. It also allows us to predict and control the propagation of electromagnetic waves in various media.

4. How is the general solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field derived?

The general solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field is derived from Maxwell's equations using mathematical methods such as separation of variables and Fourier transforms. These techniques allow us to find a general solution that satisfies the equations and the given boundary conditions.

5. What are some practical applications of the general solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field?

The general solution to the wave equation of electromagnetic field has numerous practical applications, including wireless communication, radar systems, and medical imaging. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as antennas, optical fibers, and satellite communication. Additionally, it is essential in understanding natural phenomena such as light, radio waves, and X-rays.