General solution of double integrals

In summary, the conversation discusses using calculus to solve a differential equation of the form \frac{d^2v}{dt} = \alpha, where v is a function of t and \alpha is a constant. The solution involves setting up a double integral and evaluating it to get the equation v(t) = \frac{\alpha}{2}{(t-t_0})^2 +v'(t_0)(t-t_0) + v(t_0). The correctness of this solution is questioned and it is suggested to derive it twice to check if it satisfies the original differential equation.
d.arbitman
I have a differential equation of the form and I want to solve it using calculus, as opposed to using a differential equation method.
[itex]\frac{d^2v}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex]

where [itex]v[/itex] is a function of [itex]t[/itex] i.e., [itex]v(t)[/itex]
and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is some constant.

How do I solve for [itex]v(t)[/itex] if the time ranges from [itex]t_0[/itex] to [itex]t [/itex] such that [itex]v'(t_0)[/itex] and [itex]v(t_0)[/itex] are the lower bounds of my double integrals?

Do I setup a double integral, such as the following?

[itex]\int_{v(t_0)}^{v(t)}[/itex] [itex]\int_{v'(t_0)}^{v(t)} dvdv [/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]\int_{t_0}^{t}[/itex] [itex]\int_{t_0}^{t} dτ dτ [/itex]

I get the following solution from evaluating that double integral:
[itex]v(t) = \frac{\alpha}{2}{(t-t_0})^2 +v'(t_0)(t-t_0) + v(t_0)[/itex]
and I was wondering if the solution is correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
d.arbitman said:
I have a differential equation of the form and I want to solve it using calculus, as opposed to using a differential equation method.
[itex]\frac{d^2v}{dt}[/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex]

where [itex]v[/itex] is a function of [itex]t[/itex] i.e., [itex]v(t)[/itex]
and [itex]\alpha[/itex] is some constant.

How do I solve for [itex]v(t)[/itex] if the time ranges from [itex]t_0[/itex] to [itex]t [/itex] such that [itex]v'(t_0)[/itex] and [itex]v(t_0)[/itex] are the lower bounds of my double integrals?

[itex]\int_{v(t_0)}^{v(t)}[/itex] [itex]\int_{v'(t_0)}^{v(t)} dvdv [/itex] = [itex]\alpha[/itex][itex]\int_{t_0}^{t}[/itex] [itex]\int_{t_0}^{t} dτ dτ [/itex]

I get the following solution from evaluating that double integral:
[itex]v(t) = \frac{\alpha}{2}{(t-t_0})^2 +v'(t_0)(t-t_0) + v(t_0)[/itex]
and I was wondering if the solution is correct?

Why wonder? Derive twice what you got and see if you get back your differential equation!

DonAntonio

I did, but I want to check if the procedure is correct.

d.arbitman said:
The LHS makes no sense to me.
[itex]v''(u) = f(u)[/itex]
[itex]\left[v'(u)\right]_{u=t_0}^w = \int_{u=t_0}^w f(u) du[/itex]
[itex]v'(w) - v'(t_0) = \int_{u=t_0}^w f(u) du[/itex]
[itex]\left[v(w)\right]_{w=t_0}^t - (t-t_0)v'(t_0) = \int_{w=t_0}^t \int_{u=t_0}^w f(u) du dw[/itex]
[itex]v(t) = v(t_0) + (t-t_0)v'(t_0) + \int_{w=t_0}^t \int_{u=t_0}^w f(u) du dw[/itex]

Related to General solution of double integrals

1. What is a general solution of double integrals?

A general solution of double integrals is an equation that represents the area under a two-dimensional function over a given region in the coordinate plane. It is expressed as a double integral, which is the integral of the integral of the function over the region.

2. How is a double integral solved?

A double integral is solved by first determining the limits of integration for both variables and setting up the integrand in the correct form. Then, the integral is evaluated using standard integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts.

3. What is the importance of the order of integration in a double integral?

The order of integration is important in a double integral because it determines the direction in which the integral is being evaluated. It can affect the complexity of the integral and may make it easier to solve in one order compared to another.

4. Can a double integral be used to find volume?

Yes, a double integral can be used to find volume. When the function being integrated is a constant of 1, the double integral is equivalent to the volume of the region bounded by the function and the given limits of integration.

5. How is a general solution of double integrals applied in real-life situations?

A general solution of double integrals is applied in real-life situations in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to find the center of mass, calculate moments of inertia, determine the work done by a force, and solve optimization problems, among others.