General solution of a differential equation (separable)

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the general solution of a differential equation y'=4t-ty^2. The individual asking the question is unsure if they have solved it correctly and asks for confirmation and guidance on how to proceed. The responder confirms that the solution is correct and advises to keep the modulus in the solution unless the range of y is specified.
hpayandah

Homework Statement

Find the general solution of the differential equation y'=4t-ty^2

Homework Equations

y'=4t-ty^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I 'think' this question is pretty straight forward but I'm still not sure if I did it right or not. I have two question. One till the last step that I have done, have I done it correctly 2. How do I proceed from there? The attempt is attached.

Attachments

• hw.jpg
    hw.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 195
Physics news on Phys.org
What you've written is correct. Normally, you should know on what subset of R you're looking for y. If not, then keep the modulus there and don't explicitate.

dextercioby said:
What you've written is correct. Normally, you should know on what subset of R you're looking for y. If not, then keep the modulus there and don't explicitate.

The proff didn't give any range for y. So by don't explicitate you mean I should keep it the way it is?

Yes.

Related to General solution of a differential equation (separable)

What is a general solution of a differential equation?

A general solution of a differential equation is a solution that contains all possible solutions to the equation. It includes an arbitrary constant that can be adjusted to fit specific initial conditions.

How is a general solution of a differential equation found?

To find a general solution of a differential equation, the equation is first rearranged so that all terms containing the dependent variable are on one side and all terms containing the independent variable are on the other side. Then, the equation is integrated with respect to the independent variable, resulting in a general solution with an arbitrary constant.

What is a separable differential equation?

A separable differential equation is one that can be written in the form dy/dx = f(x)g(y), where f(x) and g(y) are functions of x and y, respectively. This allows the equation to be separated into two parts that can be integrated separately to find the general solution.

Why is it important to find the general solution of a differential equation?

Finding the general solution allows us to determine the behavior of a system over time and make predictions about its future behavior. It also allows us to solve for specific solutions that satisfy certain initial conditions.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution of a differential equation?

A general solution includes an arbitrary constant, while a particular solution is obtained by assigning specific values to the constant, resulting in a unique solution that satisfies given initial conditions. A general solution can also be used to find multiple particular solutions by varying the value of the constant.