General Science degree or specific area?

In summary: In fact, the two subjects are closely related and often go hand in hand.In summary, the conversation involves a person who loves astronomy, physics, maths, and cosmology and is considering pursuing a degree in AstroPhysics or an Advanced Science Degree majoring in Physics. They are also wondering if they should take chemistry in year 12 and whether a more general physics degree would be better for undergraduate studies. The expert summarizes that it's better to have a more general undergraduate degree to allow for exploration of different subfields, but still specific enough for graduate studies. They also recommend taking chemistry in high school as it has overlaps with physics and can be beneficial for further studies.
nick1o2
So i love astronomy, physics, maths and cosmology. I want to bring this all together so i found a degree 'AstroPhysics", and it is something which i can do well in and enjoy.

I'm wounding if i should go for this degree or go for an Advanced Science Degree major in Physics? So it is more of a general physics instead of just astrophysics.

Also one other question: If the Advanced Science degree is the right option, then would chemistry a good subject to-do in year 12 even though I'm going for a course for physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it's a good idea to avoid being too specific with an undergraduate degree. While it might sound kind of cool, the specific subfield of study is something that you chose at the time you enter into graduate school. It's better to allow yourself some latitude to explore the different subfields of your major in your upper years. While many people are attracted to physics because of the "big" questions in cosmology or particle physics, as they learn more may develop interests in other questions that have more immediate and practical applications.

All of that said, you want to make sure that your major is specific enough to qualify you for graduate studies. I don't know what an "Advanced Science" degree is or what it might qualify you for. It's okay to start out in something like this and then get more specific as you move on. If you plan to go to graduate school for any physics subfield, you need a major in physics (or something very close to it).

As for chemistry in high school... absolutely you should take it. There is a lot of overlap between physics and chemistry.

Likes 1 person

Related to General Science degree or specific area?

1. What is the difference between a general science degree and a specific area of science degree?

A general science degree provides a broad overview of various scientific disciplines, while a specific area of science degree focuses on a particular field of study. General science degrees typically cover topics such as biology, chemistry, physics, and earth sciences, while specific area degrees may focus on a specific field within one of these disciplines, such as biochemistry or astrophysics.

2. Which degree is better for pursuing a career in science?

It ultimately depends on your career goals and interests. A general science degree can provide a solid foundation for a wide range of science-related careers, while a specific area of science degree may be better suited for those who know exactly what field they want to work in.

3. Is it possible to switch from a general science degree to a specific area of science degree?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a general science degree to a specific area of science degree. However, this may require taking additional courses or completing a double major. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to determine the best path for your individual goals.

4. Can I pursue a graduate degree with a general science degree?

Yes, many graduate programs accept students with a general science degree. However, some specific areas of science may have more stringent requirements, so it is important to research the specific programs you are interested in and ensure you have the necessary coursework and experience.

5. Will I have more job opportunities with a general science degree or a specific area of science degree?

Both degrees can lead to a variety of job opportunities. A general science degree may offer a wider range of career options, while a specific area of science degree may make you more competitive for jobs in that particular field. It is important to explore different career paths and determine which degree aligns best with your interests and goals.