General Relativity: Frame Dragging in Spherical Shell

R)This means that even though the spacetime inside the shell is flat, the presence of the spinning shell causes a frame dragging effect, as seen from the outside observer at infinity. This is why we get frame dragging inside the shell.In summary, we have shown that the frame dragging effect is present inside an isolated, thin, rigid, spinning spherical shell, with angular momentum J. This is due to the fact that the shell causes a distortion in the spacetime, even inside the shell, as seen from an outside observer at infinity. This distortion is described by the Kerr line element, which simplifies to the Schwarzschild line element at distances greater than the shell's radius R. The frame dragging effect can be quantified by the
jmz34

Homework Statement

An isolated, thin, rigid, spherical shell has mass M and radius R. If the shell is set slowly spinning with angular momentum J, show that inertial frames within the shell rotate at angular velocity w with respect to an observer at rest at infinity, where:

w=2GJ/(c^2*R^3)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Firstly I found the line element for r>R by neglecting terms greater than first order in a in the Kerr line element. This gave me a simple expression:

ds^2= ds^2(Swarzchild) + (4GJ(sin(theta))^2)/(c^2*r)

What is confusing me is the line element inside the shell. I was told that the line element is of Minkowski form but I can't really see why. If the line element were to be of Minkowski form why would we get frame dragging inside the shell?

If I can understand this then I can see that the problem can be done by matching up the 2 line elements at the suface of the shell r=R.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello there! Thank you for your post. I am a scientist and I would be happy to help you with this problem.

Firstly, let's define the terms in the problem. The shell is isolated, meaning it is not interacting with any external forces. It is also thin, which means its thickness is negligible compared to its radius R. The shell is also rigid, meaning its shape and size do not change under any applied forces. The mass of the shell is denoted by M and its radius is R. The shell is set spinning with angular momentum J.

The problem asks us to show that inertial frames within the shell rotate at angular velocity w with respect to an observer at rest at infinity. In other words, we need to show that the frame dragging effect is present within the shell.

To do this, we can use the line element for a rotating black hole, known as the Kerr line element. However, since the shell is thin and rigid, we can neglect terms greater than first order in a, where a=J/Mc is the dimensionless spin parameter of the black hole. This simplifies the Kerr line element to:

ds^2= ds^2(Schwarzschild) + (4GJ(sin(theta))^2)/(c^2*r)

where ds^2(Schwarzschild) is the line element for a non-rotating black hole. This line element describes the spacetime outside the shell, where r>R.

Now, let's consider the line element inside the shell, where r<R. Since the shell is thin and rigid, we can assume that the spacetime inside the shell is flat, i.e. it follows the laws of special relativity. This is why we can use the Minkowski line element inside the shell.

However, the line element we wrote above for the spacetime outside the shell is valid up to r=R. At the surface of the shell, we need to match the two line elements. This is because the spacetime must be continuous at the surface of the shell. This gives us the following condition:

ds^2(Schwarzschild) + (4GJ(sin(theta))^2)/(c^2*R) = ds^2(Minkowski)

Solving this equation for ds^2(Minkowski), we get:

ds^2(Minkowski) = ds^2(Schwarzschild) + (4GJ(sin(theta))^2)/(c^

Related to General Relativity: Frame Dragging in Spherical Shell

1. What is frame dragging in general relativity?

Frame dragging is a phenomenon predicted by general relativity in which the rotation of a massive object causes a distortion in the surrounding spacetime, pulling nearby objects along with it.

2. How does frame dragging affect objects in a spherical shell?

In a spherical shell, frame dragging causes the spacetime to twist, creating a swirling effect known as the Lense-Thirring effect. This effect is strongest near the rotating object and decreases further away.

3. Can frame dragging be observed in real life?

Yes, frame dragging has been observed in real life through experiments such as the Gravity Probe B mission, which measured the frame dragging effect of Earth's rotation on orbiting gyroscopes.

4. How does frame dragging relate to the concept of spacetime curvature?

Frame dragging is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of massive objects. The rotation of these objects creates a distortion in the surrounding spacetime, causing nearby objects to be pulled along with it.

5. Are there any practical applications of frame dragging?

While frame dragging is mostly a theoretical concept, it has some practical applications in the field of astrophysics. It can help explain the behavior of objects in the vicinity of rotating black holes, and also plays a role in the formation and evolution of galaxies.