General Relativity by Hobson, Lasenby and Efstathiou

In summary, the conversation revolves around the book General Relativity by Hobson, Lasenby and Efstathiou and whether it is a good resource for someone with a background in undergraduate physics. The original poster is asking for general opinions on the book's readability and explanations, but others point out that more information about the individual's background would be helpful in determining if the book is a good fit for them.

What are your opinions on this book?

• Lightly recommended

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Neutral(just OK)

• Lightly not recommended

• Strongly not recommended

• Total voters
Joker93
Hello,
Is the book General Relativity by Hobson, Lasenby and Efstathiou good in the sense that is intuitive on the mathematics AND physics that it presents? Please vote and if you could also comment your opinion it would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
hasn't anybody used it?

Adam Landos said:
hasn't anybody used it?

Of course people have used it, but your post does't really invite helpful results. You neglect to tell us your background, or anything else for that matter. How are we then supposed to figure out whether this book is a good fit for you?

micromass said:
Of course people have used it, but your post does't really invite helpful results. You neglect to tell us your background, or anything else for that matter. How are we then supposed to figure out whether this book is a good fit for you?
I am just asking for general opinions. If it's well-written, intuitive, gives good explanations etc.
But if you need some background, I intend to enroll in my first GR course and I have the necessary background than an undergraduate student needs to tackle a first undergrad course in GR. I hope this helps and sorry if I was inaccurate.

Related to General Relativity by Hobson, Lasenby and Efstathiou

What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity that was first proposed by Albert Einstein in 1915. It describes how massive objects, such as planets and stars, create curves in the fabric of space and time, causing other objects to move along these curves.

Why is General Relativity important?

General Relativity is important because it provides a more accurate description of gravity than Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation. It has been confirmed by numerous experiments and observations, and is the basis for our understanding of the universe on a large scale.

What are some practical applications of General Relativity?

General Relativity has many practical applications, such as in GPS technology, where it is used to correct for time dilation effects. It also helps us understand the behavior of black holes and the expansion of the universe.

How does General Relativity differ from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation?

General Relativity differs from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation in several ways. It takes into account the curvature of spacetime, while Newton's law assumes that gravity is a force acting between objects. General Relativity also predicts the existence of black holes and gravitational waves, which are not accounted for in Newton's law.

Is it possible for General Relativity to be disproved?

As with any scientific theory, it is always possible for new evidence or observations to arise that may challenge or modify our understanding of General Relativity. However, it has been extensively tested and validated over the past century, making it a highly reliable and well-supported theory. Any potential modifications or disprovals would need to account for all the observations and predictions that General Relativity has successfully explained.