General Relativity and Hawking Radiation at the Event Horizon

In summary, there is a logical conflict between General Relativity (GR) and Hawking Radiation (HR) when it comes to the behavior of black holes. While GR predicts that an object falling into a black hole will experience infinite time at the horizon, HR predicts that the black hole will eventually evaporate in a finite amount of time. This conflict arises because GR assumes that the black hole will stay as is, while HR takes into account the possibility of the black hole evaporating. However, given the extreme conditions of these experiments, it is understandable that the current understanding of both theories may not fully converge.
Chris11235
The question is to resolve a logical conflict.

GR says as we fall into a black hole, an outside observer will see that event come to a stand still as if the falling object is hovering at the horizon. This stand still extends to infinite time. Unfortunately, I've read and hear the term "infinite" time used to describe this through experiment from a number of respectable physicists. Assuming that is the correct term then it conflicts with another effect about black holes; the Hawkin radiation (HR). If HR predicts that the black hole eventually evaporates in finite amount of time, that must predict the falling object at some time disappears. The conflict is GR predicting infinite time while HR predicts finite time.

While I'm not a Physics/Mathematician, I still think that these extreme conditions of the experiements should at least converge to the same logical result. What am I missing?

Science news on Phys.org
GR predicts infinite time, IF the BH were to stay as is. Clearly you are right in that when it evaporates, this no longer holds because you are talking about different conditions.

phinds said:
GR predicts infinite time, IF the BH were to stay as is. Clearly you are right in that when it evaporates, this no longer holds because you are talking about different conditions.

Aahha, of course. The "If stay as is" is the condition I overlooked. thanks.

I think you are expecting a lot from the current understanding of both GR and Quantum Theory. This is an extreme case in both theories where they meet.

Related to General Relativity and Hawking Radiation at the Event Horizon

1. What is General Relativity?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects in the universe interact with one another and how gravity affects the fabric of space and time.

2. What is the Event Horizon?

The Event Horizon is the boundary around a black hole beyond which nothing, not even light, can escape. It is the point of no return for anything that gets too close to a black hole.

3. What is Hawking Radiation?

Hawking Radiation is a theoretical form of radiation proposed by physicist Stephen Hawking in 1974. It is believed to be emitted by black holes due to quantum effects near the Event Horizon, causing the black hole to gradually lose mass and eventually evaporate.

4. How does General Relativity explain the Event Horizon?

According to General Relativity, the Event Horizon is the point at which the gravitational pull of a black hole becomes so strong that even light cannot escape. This is due to the intense curvature of spacetime near the black hole's singularity.

5. What is the significance of Hawking Radiation in understanding black holes?

Hawking Radiation is significant because it provides a potential way for black holes to eventually evaporate, in contrast to the traditional belief that they are eternal and can only grow larger. It also provides a link between General Relativity and quantum mechanics, two fundamental theories in physics that have been difficult to reconcile.