General questions about photons and electrons

In summary: That is correct.But for applications as MOSFET, CCD, CMOS we just use a corpuscular model, isn't it ?
honolulu_boy
Hello,

I am a student in Physics and I have some problems to understand how photons and electrons are studied. Is there the assumption that they occupy a so little space in the "Phase space" that they can be considered has point ? Can we expect that in the real case when they "moove" they are distorted or they loose information ?

I will be very greatfull if someone can answer my question.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Phase Space is no longer used in Quantum Mechanics, it describes classical systems where the electron is treated as a point particle. In Hilbert Space their smooth trajectory is traced along a unit sphere of infinite dimensions, it sounds strange right? Though it is more mathematical (statistics) than physical.

Hi,

LostConjugate said:
In Hilbert Space their smooth trajectory is traced along a unit sphere of infinite dimensions, it sounds strange right? Though it is more mathematical (statistics) than physical.

Yes it's very strange... the fact is that for me "the hilbert space" is a very abstract thing. I supposed that there is no other ways to deal this kind of problems but I would like to know in which kind of application we have to use the Hilbert Space

honolulu_boy said:
Hi,

Yes it's very strange... the fact is that for me "the hilbert space" is a very abstract thing. I supposed that there is no other ways to deal this kind of problems but I would like to know in which kind of application we have to use the Hilbert Space

Only in quantum mechanics, solid state physics, nuclear physics. In the classical limit (macroscopic scale) Phase Space is perfectly accurate. When you ask about the motion of a single electron however you are asking a QM question.

Hope that helps!

LostConjugate said:
Only in quantum mechanics, solid state physics, nuclear physics. In the classical limit (macroscopic scale) Phase Space is perfectly accurate. When you ask about the motion of a single electron however you are asking a QM question.

Hope that helps!

And what about Plasma Physics ?

honolulu_boy said:
And what about Plasma Physics ?

I am not sure.

You tell about solid state physics. It means that semiconductors are concerning about that ?

honolulu_boy said:
You tell about solid state physics. It means that semiconductors are concerning about that ?

That is correct.

But for applications as MOSFET, CCD, CMOS we just use a corpuscular model, isn't it ?

You lost me :)

Related to General questions about photons and electrons

1. What is the difference between a photon and an electron?

A photon is a tiny packet of energy that makes up light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation. It has no mass and travels at the speed of light. An electron, on the other hand, is a subatomic particle that carries a negative charge and has a small mass. It is a fundamental building block of matter.

2. How are photons and electrons related to each other?

Electrons can emit or absorb photons when they interact with other particles. This interaction is responsible for many phenomena, such as the emission of light from atoms and the functioning of solar cells. Additionally, photons can also be considered as the "carriers" of the electromagnetic force, which is responsible for the interactions between charged particles, including electrons.

3. Can photons and electrons behave as both particles and waves?

Yes, both photons and electrons can exhibit wave-like behavior, such as interference and diffraction, in certain experiments. However, they can also behave as discrete particles, interacting with matter in distinct ways. This duality is one of the key principles of quantum mechanics.

4. How is the energy of a photon or electron determined?

The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, which is related to the color of light it produces. Higher frequency photons have more energy than lower frequency ones. The energy of an electron, on the other hand, is determined by its speed and its mass. Electrons with higher speeds or greater masses have more energy.

5. Are photons and electrons affected by gravity?

Yes, both photons and electrons are affected by gravity. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, gravity is the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass or energy. As photons and electrons have energy, they can be affected by gravity, causing them to be deflected or slowed down when passing near massive objects.