General question, which formula to use to find derivative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the two formulas used to find derivatives in Calculus 1. The first formula involves using the limit definition of the derivative and the Binomial Theorem, while the second formula requires factoring. The speaker suggests trying both formulas and seeing which one is easier to use. They also apologize for any lack of understanding of the rules and formatting in the MHB community.
theothersophie
Hi this is my first post ever in MHB, and I'm in Calculus 1 wondering which formula to use to find derivatives. There are 2 as far as I know:

(1)
derivative_definition_formula.gif

and the one one at the beginning of this:

(2)
calc2-1notes14.gif

Example Problem:

LFH5oUF.png

How would i know which formula to use? Is there a particular reason the example used (2)?

Thanks all. This is a quick post so I'm sorry if I'm unaware of the rules here, you can point me in the right direction to unerstand formatting and rules around MHB.

Physics news on Phys.org
Experience is the only teacher as to which formula to use. For example, if $f(x)=x^n$, then using
$$f'(x)=\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{f(x+h)-f(x)}{h}$$
requires you to use the Binomial Theorem to expand out $(x+h)^n$ satisfactorily. On the other hand, if you use
$$f'(x)=\lim_{y\to x}\frac{f(y)-f(x)}{y-x},$$
then you must factor $y^n-x^n$ to get the factor $y-x$ to cancel. Different students might find the one or the other more difficult or harder to implement. Bottom line: try both, and see which one works out easier.

Related to General question, which formula to use to find derivative?

1. What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. In other words, it measures how much a function's output changes when its input value changes.

2. How do you find the derivative of a function?

To find the derivative of a function, you can use the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, or chain rule, depending on the complexity of the function. These are different formulas that help you calculate the derivative of a function by manipulating its original equation.

3. Can you explain the power rule for finding derivatives?

The power rule states that the derivative of a function raised to a constant power is equal to the coefficient multiplied by the constant power, with the exponent reduced by 1. In other words, if the original function is f(x) = x^n, the derivative is f'(x) = nx^(n-1).

4. When should I use the product rule to find a derivative?

The product rule should be used when the function you are trying to take the derivative of is a product of two or more other functions. It is used to find the derivative of the entire function by breaking it down into smaller parts and applying the rule.

5. Is there a general formula for finding derivatives?

Yes, there is a general formula for finding derivatives called the chain rule. It is used to find the derivative of a function that is composed of multiple functions nested inside each other. The formula is (f ◦ g)'(x) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x), where f and g are functions and (f ◦ g)'(x) represents the derivative of the composite function.