General question about math required to do david morins book

In summary, the speaker does not have issues with most of the problems but struggles with questions that require specific math tricks they are not familiar with. They wonder if these tricks can be learned through focused study of mathematics or if they are picked up from various sources. The speaker also mentions their background in approximations and asks for recommendations on where to gain the necessary math knowledge for these kinds of tricks. The conversation also touches on the Newton-Leibniz formula and the fundamental theorem of calculus.
RubinLicht
So i don't have issues with most of his problems, but once in a while a question that requires a ridiculous math trick that i had no way of knowing comes up and i just wonder if this is something you pick up from various places, or can attain through a focused study of mathematics. the question that prompted me to post this was this:
2.png

and solution:
1.png

I get completely lost once i get to "In taking the derivative, the former dependence requires finding the value of theintegrand at the x0 limit...". and then i can follow the solution again once you get to "the solution to this is -> exponential"

The problem i had with this is that i immediately knew that the solution would be an exponential with some dependence on l in the exponent, however, there was simply no way for me to reach the solution because i had to use what ever math tricks he used here.

background: i can comfortably do approximations with taylor series and binomial theorem, so I'm not completely new to the world of approximations.

tldr i would like to know where to gain the math knowledge for these kind of tricks

Physics news on Phys.org
this is not a trick this is a solution to the differential equation ##\rho'=-\rho##. There is a mathematical subject called "Ordinary Differential Equations"

wrobel said:
this is not a trick this is a solution to the differential equation ##\rho'=-\rho##. There is a mathematical subject called "Ordinary Differential Equations"
"I get completely lost once i get to "In taking the derivative, the former dependence requires finding the value of theintegrand at the x0 limit...". and then i can follow thesolution again once you get to "the solution to this is -> exponential" "

Tldr I knew how to do that part, and you would know this is if you read my post again

wrobel said:
O, now I see. By the way have you ever heard about the Newton-Leibniz formula :)

https://www.encyclopediaofmath.org/index.php/Newton-Leibniz_formula

Yes but my understanding of it is very poor because we seemed to just skip over it in class. My friend also said to read about the fundamental theorem of calculus, so I'll do that when i get time and come back to this problem. Thanks!

Related to General question about math required to do david morins book

1. What level of math is required to do David Morin's book?

David Morin's book, "Introduction to Classical Mechanics," requires a strong foundation in calculus and linear algebra. It is recommended for undergraduate level students.

2. Do I need prior knowledge of physics to understand the math in David Morin's book?

While prior knowledge of physics is not required, a basic understanding of mechanics and Newton's laws can be helpful in understanding the concepts presented in the book.

3. How difficult is the math in David Morin's book?

The math in David Morin's book is challenging and may require a significant amount of time and effort. However, the author presents the material in an accessible and engaging manner, making it easier to grasp complex concepts.

4. Can I use David Morin's book as a self-study guide?

Yes, David Morin's book is designed for self-study and includes numerous practice problems and exercises to help reinforce the concepts presented.

5. Are there any resources available to supplement David Morin's book?

Yes, the author has a website that includes additional resources such as video lectures, solutions to practice problems, and interactive simulations to aid in understanding the material.