General Cantilever Equations for Bending Aluminum

In summary, the conversation revolved around determining general cantilever equations for a testing model. The problem at hand was finding the deflection at the end point, with only the measured deflection at a point 100 mm from the block known. The proposed solution involved using a dummy force method to find a relation between applied force and deflection at the end point, and then using another dummy force method to find a relation between deflection at the end point and the measured deflection. The ultimate goal was to find a relation between deflection and stress/strain values for the given measurements and values.
X1088LoD
I am trying to determine some general cantilever equations.

I have an aluminum beam extending out 235 mm (L) from an aluminum
block. The beam is 25 mm wide (W) and 3 mm thick (H). A force is
applied at a point approx. 200 mm from the block and I am interested
at a point 25 mm away from the block. I know the exact measurement of
vertical deflection at a point 100 mm from the block.

I am assuming the modulus of elasticity E is 10*10^6 psi.

In general, I have the following diagram:
http://www.brentless.com/Images/station2.jpg
In the diagram

A: a driving rod that moves up and down from a loudspeaker setup not
shown, this guides the cantilever on this end
B: a measuring caliper to measure the vertical displacement at point
alpha measured from the aluminum block
C: a mounted strain gauge, the point of interest, centered at delta
from the aluminum block
D: an aluminum block mounted the cantilever on one end

Z1: a known, measurable displacement at alpha distance
Z2: a displacement not known, at the end of the beam

alpha: the measurement from the block to the measuring caliper
beta: the measurement from the caliper to the end of the beam
gamma: the measurement from the caliper to the driving rod
delta: the measurement from the block to the strain gaugeMy problems to this point, most formulas I have found assume that the
measurement of deflection is actually taken at the end of the beam.
So how can I use the measurement at the 100 mm point above. I don't
specifically know the value of the force being applied (my cantilever
is being driven up and down by a loudspeaker, so if possible I would
like to leave out the force value and determine an equation based on
the measurement of deflection. Thoughts?

I am trying to determine a general equation of which I can relate to
stress and strain the values and measurements I have stated above for
a testing model. I am not a mechanical engineer, so I don't really
understand this stuff, so I appreciate any advice or help anyone can
give me.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If I understood the problem correctly, you need to find the deflection of the end point, and all you know is the measured deflection at point B. Well, using a dummy force method, you can find a relation between the applied end force, let's say F, in a form F = F(d*), where d* is the deflection at B. Further on, you can again use a dummy force method to find the relation between the deflection d at the end point (i.e. point A) and the force F, i.e. d = d(F). After plugging the force in terms of d* into that equation, you should be able to retrieve a relation of form d = d(d*), which is what you need to find.

Thank you for providing the details of your cantilever setup. The general equation for bending of an aluminum beam can be written as:

๐›ฟ = (๐น๐‘™^3)/(3๐ธ๐ผ)

where ๐›ฟ is the deflection at a point, ๐น is the applied force, ๐‘™ is the length of the beam, ๐ธ is the modulus of elasticity, and ๐ผ is the moment of inertia of the beam.

In your case, the length of the beam (๐‘™) is 235 mm, the width (๐‘Š) is 25 mm, and the thickness (๐ป) is 3 mm. The moment of inertia (๐ผ) for a rectangular beam is given by:

๐ผ = (๐‘Š๐ป^3)/12

Substituting these values in the general equation, we can write the equation for deflection at a point 25 mm from the block as:

๐›ฟ = (๐น(235)^3)/(3(10*10^6)(25*3^3)/12)

๐›ฟ = (๐น(235)^3)/(7.2*10^9)

Now, since you have the measurement of deflection (๐›ฟ) at a point 100 mm from the block (๐›ฟ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ), we can write the following equation:

๐›ฟ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ = (๐น(100)^3)/(7.2*10^9)

We can solve for the force (๐น) in this equation, which will give us an equation for force in terms of the deflection at 100 mm:

๐น = (๐›ฟ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ * 7.2*10^9)/(100)^3

Now, we can substitute this equation for force (๐น) in the first equation for deflection at 25 mm, which will give us an equation in terms of the deflection at 100 mm:

๐›ฟ = ((๐›ฟ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ * 7.2*10^9)/(100)^3 * (235)^3)/(7.2*10^9)

๐›ฟ = (๐›ฟ๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ

Related to General Cantilever Equations for Bending Aluminum

1. What is a cantilever?

A cantilever is a structural element that is supported at only one end, while the other end is free to move. In the case of bending aluminum, this would refer to a beam or rod that is fixed at one end and experiences a load or force at the other end.

2. Why is it important to use general cantilever equations for bending aluminum?

Using general cantilever equations allows for accurate prediction of the behavior and stress distribution in an aluminum beam or rod under bending loads. This information is crucial for designing safe and efficient structures.

3. How do general cantilever equations differ from other bending equations?

General cantilever equations take into account the material properties of aluminum, such as its Young's modulus and moment of inertia, which are specific to this type of material. Other bending equations may be more general and can apply to a wider range of materials and shapes.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of general cantilever equations for bending aluminum?

The accuracy of general cantilever equations can be affected by several factors, including the shape and dimensions of the aluminum beam or rod, the type and magnitude of the load applied, and the boundary conditions at the fixed end.

5. Can general cantilever equations be used for other materials besides aluminum?

Yes, general cantilever equations can be used for other materials, but the specific values for material properties such as Young's modulus and moment of inertia will need to be adjusted accordingly. It is important to use the appropriate equation for the specific material being analyzed.