General 3rd degree polynomial always increasing problem?

In summary, to make a 3rd degree polynomial, f(x)= ax^3+bx^2+cx+d, always increasing, a must be positive and b^2 must be less than 3ac.
arpitm08
General 3rd degree polynomial always increasing problem? Please Help!

What conditions on a, b, and c will make f(x)=ax^3+bx^2+cx+d always increasing?

For a function to be always increasing, the first derivative has to be always positive. So,

f1(x)=3ax^2+2bx+c>0

I tried finding the roots, that didn't lead me anywhere. Could someone please help?

I know that for a 3rd degree polynomial to be always increasing, it has to be a perfect cube. like (ex-f)^3, then you can expand that to be (ex)^3 -3f(ex)^2+3exf^2+f^3. Then since this will have to be the formula for f(x). So a=e^3, b=-3fe^2, c=3ef^2, d=f^3, but i don't know what to do from here. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

arpitm08 said:

For a function to be always increasing, the first derivative has to be always positive. So,

f1(x)=3ax^2+2bx+c>0

I tried finding the roots, that didn't lead me anywhere. Could someone please help?

I know that for a 3rd degree polynomial to be always increasing, it has to be a perfect cube. like (ex-f)^3, then you can expand that to be (ex)^3 -3f(ex)^2+3exf^2+f^3. Then since this will have to be the formula for f(x). So a=e^3, b=-3fe^2, c=3ef^2, d=f^3, but i don't know what to do from here. Please help!

I think I finally figured out what you meant by (ex-f)^3. It would have been easier to grasp if you had written (Ax - B)^3, since e and f already have other meanings -- the natural number e, and f as in f(x).

Some things to think about.
a should be positive.
There should be exactly 1 real root. (If there were 3 roots, the graph would have something of an S shape. If there were 2 roots, one root would be repeated, and the graph would drop down and touch the x-axis rather than cross it.)
See if you can make up equations for 3rd degree polynomials with 1 root, 2 roots, 3 roots.
f'(x) should be >= 0 for all x.

What about f''(x)? Can f''(x) change sign? If so, the concavity is changing. If so, how many times can the concavity change sign?

arpitm08 said:

f1(x)=3ax^2+2bx+c>0

I wish you had shown what you did. The derivative is a quadratic so will always be positive if and only if a is positive and the quadratic is never 0. That will happen when the discrimant is negative: that is if (2b)2- 4(3a)(c)= 4b2- 12ac< 0 which is the same as b2< 3ac.

The cubic f(x)= ax3+ bx2+ cx+ d is always increasing if and only if a> 0 and b2< 3ac. It is always decreasing if and only if a< 0 and b2< 3ac.

Related to General 3rd degree polynomial always increasing problem?

1. What is a general 3rd degree polynomial?

A general 3rd degree polynomial is an algebraic expression of the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable. It is also known as a cubic polynomial.

2. What does it mean for a polynomial to be always increasing?

A polynomial is considered always increasing if its graph rises from left to right without any dips or flat sections. This means that as the input values of x increase, the output values of the polynomial also increase.

3. Can a general 3rd degree polynomial always be increasing?

No, not all general 3rd degree polynomials are always increasing. It depends on the values of the constants a, b, c, and d. If certain conditions are met, such as a > 0, the polynomial will always be increasing. However, if the conditions are not met, the polynomial may have dips or flat sections and will not be always increasing.

4. How can I determine if a general 3rd degree polynomial is always increasing?

To determine if a general 3rd degree polynomial is always increasing, you can graph the polynomial or use calculus to find the derivative. If the derivative is always positive for all values of x, then the polynomial is always increasing.

5. What is the importance of understanding a general 3rd degree polynomial always increasing problem?

Understanding the concept of a general 3rd degree polynomial always increasing is important in various fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. It allows us to model and analyze real-life situations, such as the growth of a population or the trajectory of a projectile, using mathematical equations.