Gauss's Law Problem: Electric Field Inside a Charged Cylinder

In summary, the problem involves a long, thin straight wire with linear charge density lambda and a thin, hollow metal cylinder with a net linear charge density of 2lambda. The task is to find an expression for the electric field strength inside the cylinder, using a cylinder of length L as the gaussian surface. The solution involves using the equation E*2pir*L = lambda * L / permittivity constant and results in the expression E= lambda/ (2pi*r*permittivity constant). The question arises about how the electric field from the metal cylinder cancels inside the cylinder, which is clarified by realizing that the gaussian surface only encloses the wire and not the entire cylinder.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A long, thin straight wire w/ linear charge density lambda runs down the center of a thin, hollow metal cylinder of radius R. The cylinder has net linear charge density of 2lambda. Assume lambda is positive. Find an expression for the electric field strength inside the cylinder.

I used a cylinder of length L for my gaussian surface:

the charge inside is lambda * L

E*2pir*L = lambda * L / permittivity constant

E= lambda/ (2pi*r*permittivity constant)

This is correct, but the thing I don't see is how the electric field from the metal cylinder cancels inside the cylinder. Wouldn't it only cancel at the very center?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh... if I draw a gaussian surface inside, it only encloses the wire. I'm trying to fit my head around this.

Could someone please give a good explanation for this? Thanks

Related to Gauss's Law Problem: Electric Field Inside a Charged Cylinder

1. What is Gauss's Law?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law of electromagnetism that relates the electric field at a point to the enclosed charge within a given surface.

2. How does Gauss's Law apply to a charged cylinder?

For a charged cylinder, Gauss's Law states that the electric field at any point inside the cylinder is directly proportional to the charge enclosed within the cylinder and inversely proportional to the distance from the center of the cylinder.

3. How can the electric field inside a charged cylinder be calculated using Gauss's Law?

The electric field inside a charged cylinder can be calculated by using the formula E = (Qenc)/2πε0r, where Qenc is the enclosed charge, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

4. What is the significance of the electric field inside a charged cylinder?

The electric field inside a charged cylinder determines the direction and strength of the electric force on a charged particle placed inside the cylinder. This is important in understanding the behavior of charged particles in various situations.

5. Can Gauss's Law be applied to other shapes besides a cylinder?

Yes, Gauss's Law can be applied to any closed surface. The formula for calculating the electric field will vary depending on the shape of the surface and the distribution of charge enclosed within it.