Gauss's Law: Cylindrical Symmetry

In summary: I don't know...like she could just slap me in the face with them and I would magically understand?In summary, the electric field in region iii (outside the cable) is zero because any Gaussian surface enclosing a section of the cable encloses zero net charge.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Problem : A long coaxial cable carries a uniform volume charge density [itex] \rho [/itex] on the inner cylinder (radius [itex] a [/itex]), and a uniform surface charge density on the outer cylindrical shell (radius [itex] b [/itex]). The surface charge is negative and of just the right magnitude so that the cable as a whole is electrically neutral. Find the electric field in each of the three regions: (i) inside the inner cylinder (s < a), (ii) in between the cylinders (a < s < b), (iii) outside the cable (s > b).

My thoughts: First of all, from the statement that the volume charge distribution on the inner cylinder was equal and opposite to the surface charge distribution on the outer one, I extracted this relation, hoping it would come in useful:

[tex] \iiint_{V_{\text{inner}}} {(\rho dV)} = - \iint_{S_\text{outer}}{(\sigma dS)} [/tex]

Correct?

My next thought was that the electric field in region iii (outside the cable) should be zero everywhere. My reasoning was that any Gaussian surface enclosing a section of the cable encloses zero net charge. So it would not make any sense for there to be an electric field at any point on said surface.

My instinct tells me that by symmetry, the contribution to the electric field due to the outer cylinder in region i (inside the inner one) cancels itself out completely, but I'm not sure how to prove it.

I'm a bit new to this type of problem, so I appreciate hearing whether I'm right so far, and how to go about solving the rest of the problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Integrate each region separatly, you will see that the electric field increases linearly from the center to the edge of the inner cylinder, damps of as negative power of r between the cylinders then is zero outside because the net charge is zero. Only takes a few minutes to do the problem completely.

cepheid said:
My thoughts: First of all, from the statement that the volume charge distribution on the inner cylinder was equal and opposite to the surface charge distribution on the outer one, I extracted this relation, hoping it would come in useful:

[tex] \iiint_{V_{\text{inner}}} {(\rho dV)} = - \iint_{S_\text{outer}}{(\sigma dS)} [/tex]

Correct?
There is no need for any integration. Realize that the linear charge density (charge per unit length) must be the same for the volume and surface charge distributions.
My next thought was that the electric field in region iii (outside the cable) should be zero everywhere. My reasoning was that any Gaussian surface enclosing a section of the cable encloses zero net charge. So it would not make any sense for there to be an electric field at any point on said surface.
Right.

My instinct tells me that by symmetry, the contribution to the electric field due to the outer cylinder in region i (inside the inner one) cancels itself out completely, but I'm not sure how to prove it.
Correct. To prove this, realize that symmetry allows you to apply Gauss's law for any radius, which shows that the field only depends on the charge within that radius.

Use Gauss's law to find the field in each region with no need to integrate.

I'm still confused. In region (i), I have decided to take your advice and use a cylindrical Gaussian surface of radius a . It encloses the region. In fact, it is exactly the same as the inner cylinder, but let's give it finite length l . First of all, does the electric field |E|outer due to the outer (surface) charge contribute to |E| in this region? I thought not, since the surface I just defined doesn't enclose any of the charge that is the source of this field. Another way to look at it is that inside the cylinder, every electric field vector coming at you from the outer cylinder's surface has an equal and opposite counterpart 180 degrees away. Fine, so Gauss's law reduces to:

[tex] \oint{\vec{E}_{\text{inner}} \cdot d\vec{a}} = \frac{Q_{\text{inner}}}{\epsilon_0} = \frac{\rho V}{\epsilon_0} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0}\pi a^2 l [/tex]

Normally, I would solve for |E| by taking it out of the integral sign, using some "knowledge of symmetry" to be fairly confident that the electric field is uniform over the entire Gaussian surface I just defined. Can anyone explain to me why this is so in this case? For instance, you're sitting on this Gaussian surface enclosing the volume charge. Who says all the electric field vectors are normal to the surface everywhere? Why can't you have some wacky diagonal one coming at you from some unassuming part of the charge distribution within? And how do you prove that |E| is also of the same strength everywhere on that surface? I'm sorry, but my prof didn't really justify these "symmetry arguments" in my mind. Maybe I'm just being stupid, and she felt it was obvious...

Another point that I'm not sure about. I assumed that the Gaussian surface I defined was closed. So the "can" must have a top and bottom. Is it also by "symmetry arguments" that we can assume the flux through the lid/base of the can is zero? I can see that being so for E_outer, but not for E_inner!

Last edited:
hmm...comments?

cepheid said:
I'm sorry, but my prof didn't really justify these "symmetry arguments" in my mind. Maybe I'm just being stupid, and she felt it was obvious...

This is a very general law ... If something has no reason to be different than it is not different.

Another point that I'm not sure about. I assumed that the Gaussian surface I defined was closed. So the "can" must have a top and bottom. Is it also by "symmetry arguments" that we can assume the flux through the lid/base of the can is zero? I can see that being so for E_outer, but not for E_inner!

You are right, you should include both the top and the bottom of the cylinder. But the flux means field lines perpendicular to the surface.The dot product in the Gaussian integrand is zero on the top and bottom surfaces because the field is radial everywhere, tangent to these surfaces but the very ends of the cable. This is a long coaxial cable, and you were asked to determine the field somewhere. In this case you can say "I determine the field far from the ends".

ehild

If the cylinder is long, ignore the ends, the electric field inside the inner cylinder is given by
[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{\rho \vec{r}}{8\pi} [/tex]

between the cylinders

[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{\rho a^{2} \vec{r}}{8\pi r^{2}} [/tex]

and zero outside both cylinders because of zero net charge.

Units may not be completely correct, but the dep[endencies are...

Related to Gauss's Law: Cylindrical Symmetry

What is Gauss's Law and how does it apply to cylindrical symmetry?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the enclosed charge. When applied to cylindrical symmetry, it states that the electric field is constant and directed radially outward or inward at any point on a cylindrical surface, and the total electric flux through the surface is proportional to the enclosed charge.

How is the electric field calculated using Gauss's Law for cylindrical symmetry?

The electric field at any point on a cylindrical surface can be calculated by using the equation E = Q/2πεr, where Q is the enclosed charge, ε is the permittivity of the material, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder to the point where the field is being measured. This equation is derived from the cylindrical form of Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through the surface is equal to 2πε times the enclosed charge.

What are the key assumptions made when applying Gauss's Law to cylindrical symmetry?

The key assumptions made are that the electric field is constant and directed radially, and that the cylindrical surface is infinitely long, meaning that the electric field does not vary with distance along the length of the cylinder.

How is Gauss's Law for cylindrical symmetry used in practical applications?

Gauss's Law for cylindrical symmetry is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of electrical circuits and in the calculation of the electric field inside a charged cylindrical capacitor. It is also used in the analysis of charged cylindrical objects, such as wires and cylinders, in electrostatics problems.

What are some common misconceptions about Gauss's Law for cylindrical symmetry?

One common misconception is that the electric field is always directed radially outward in cylindrical symmetry. In reality, the direction of the electric field can vary depending on the distribution of charge and the shape of the cylindrical surface. Another misconception is that Gauss's Law can only be applied to perfect cylinders, when in fact it can be applied to any closed surface with cylindrical symmetry, including non-uniform or irregularly shaped objects.