Gaussian Elimination Solve for variable

In summary, the value of k for which the given system has no solutions is k = -32. This is determined by setting (k+32)z = -35 to be untrue, making the solution impossible.
Gurvir

Homework Statement

Determine the value of k for which the system
x + y + 2z = 3
x + 2y -4z = -3
2 + 8 + kz = -29
has no solutions.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

Converting to a matrix

1 1 2 3
1 2 -4 -3
2 8 k -29

r2=r2-r1

1 1 2 3
0 1 -6 0
2 8 k -29

r3=r3-2r1

1 1 2 3
0 1 -6 0
0 6 (k-4) -35

r3=r3-6r2

1 1 2 3
0 1 -6 0
0 0 (k+32) -35

So then I figured that:
(k + 32)z = -35
k = (-35/z) - 32

But the problem is I'm doing this online and the solution has to be a real number without variables. So I think I may have gone wrong somewhere. How do I solve for k?

Physics news on Phys.org
When you have the row: 0 0 (k+32) -35, what does that row mean? You are right when you say (k+32)z=-35. So, what value of k makes this line untrue? (don't move things around, just look at it like this). It's a particular situation you should be familiar with, as it signals when any row reduced matrix has no solution.

ArcanaNoir said:
When you have the row: 0 0 (k+32) -35, what does that row mean? You are right when you say (k+32)z=-35. So, what value of k makes this line untrue? (don't move things around, just look at it like this). It's a particular situation you should be familiar with, as it signals when any row reduced matrix has no solution.

Oh, so (k+32) must equal 0 to make the solution impossible. Which means k = -32?

You got it :)

OMG! Ingenious! Thanks guys. Your help is always great!

Related to Gaussian Elimination Solve for variable

What is Gaussian Elimination?

Gaussian Elimination is a mathematical method used to solve linear equations by systematically reducing a matrix to its row echelon form.

What is the purpose of Gaussian Elimination?

The purpose of Gaussian Elimination is to simplify a system of linear equations by eliminating variables and finding a unique solution for the set of equations.

How do you perform Gaussian Elimination?

To perform Gaussian Elimination, you must first write the system of linear equations in matrix form. Then, use a series of elementary row operations to reduce the matrix to its row echelon form. Finally, solve for the variables by back-substituting in the reduced matrix.

What is the difference between Gaussian Elimination and Gauss-Jordan Elimination?

The main difference between Gaussian Elimination and Gauss-Jordan Elimination is that Gaussian Elimination only reduces a matrix to its row echelon form, while Gauss-Jordan Elimination reduces a matrix to its reduced row echelon form. This means that Gauss-Jordan Elimination gives the complete solution to a system of linear equations, while Gaussian Elimination requires an additional step of back-substitution to find the values of the variables.

When is Gaussian Elimination not applicable?

Gaussian Elimination is not applicable when the matrix representing the system of linear equations is singular, meaning it has no inverse. In this case, the system of equations has either no solution or infinitely many solutions.