Gaussian Coordinates Explained: Resources & Definition

In summary, the conversation discusses a reader's struggle with understanding Gaussian coordinates in the book "Relativity". They ask for resources or explanations, but without specifying what they don't understand, it is difficult for others to help. Eventually, the reader finds a better translation and understands the concept.
icma
Hey,
Whenever I read Relativity I get stuck around Gaussian coordinates, i can't seem to find much out about them, do they have another name? does anyone know any good resources explaining them?
or am I just in over my head?

thanks guys,

Physics news on Phys.org
If we don't know what aspect of it you didn't understand, then there's no way for us to write an explanation that would work better for you than the one you've already read.

icma said:
Hey,
Whenever I read Relativity I get stuck around Gaussian coordinates, i can't seem to find much out about them, do they have another name? does anyone know any good resources explaining them?
or am I just in over my head?

thanks guys,

I'm guessing that you are reading Einstein's popular book, "Relativity, the special and general theory", http://www.bartleby.com/173/25.html?

I'm not sure what you don't understand. Gaussian coordinates are just like using graph paper, except that the lines aren't necessarily straight...

Last edited:
pervect said:
I'm guessing that you are reading Einstein's popular book, "Relativity, the special and general theory", http://www.bartleby.com/173/25.html?

I'm not sure what you don't understand. Gaussian coordinates are just like using graph paper, except that the lines aren't necessarily straight...

Hi,
Yeah. I get it now, I found a different (better) translation, Thanks.

Related to Gaussian Coordinates Explained: Resources & Definition

What are Gaussian coordinates?

Gaussian coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in mathematics and physics. They are based on the concept of a Gaussian surface, which is an imaginary surface that encloses a point in space. These coordinates are commonly used in the study of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

What is the purpose of using Gaussian coordinates?

Gaussian coordinates are used to simplify mathematical equations and calculations in certain physical systems. They can also provide a more intuitive understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic fields and fluid flow.

How do Gaussian coordinates differ from other coordinate systems?

Gaussian coordinates are a type of orthogonal coordinate system, meaning that the coordinate lines intersect at right angles. This makes them easier to work with mathematically compared to other coordinate systems, such as spherical or cylindrical coordinates.

What resources are available for learning about Gaussian coordinates?

There are many online resources available for learning about Gaussian coordinates, including textbooks, video tutorials, and interactive simulations. Additionally, many universities offer courses on electromagnetism or fluid dynamics that cover Gaussian coordinates in detail.

Can Gaussian coordinates be used in all physical systems?

No, Gaussian coordinates are most commonly used in systems with cylindrical or spherical symmetry. They are not suitable for systems with more complex geometries or boundary conditions.