Gauge Potential Transformations

In summary, the Lagrangian in a theory with an SU(N) gauge field is invariant under a gauge transformation of the form A_\mu \rightarrow UA_\mu U^\dagger - iU\partial_\mu U^\dagger, while for a U(1) gauge field the transformation is A_\mu \rightarrow A + \partial_\mu f. Both of these transformations leave the Lagrangian unchanged.
michael879
Can someone please show me what transformation the lagrangian is invariant under in a theory with just an SU(N) gauge field (with or w/o a source term I don't think it matters). I tried to find this on my own and I got some confusing answers.

Except for U(1), every source I found said that the transformation is of the form [itex]A_\mu \rightarrow UA_\mu U^\dagger - iU\partial_\mu U^\dagger[/itex]. However, this clearly doesn't apply to a U(1) gauge field where the transformation is [itex]A_\mu \rightarrow A + \partial_\mu f[/itex]

*edit* I just realized that they are actually the same, but I can't figure how to delete this thread.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. In a theory with just an SU(N) gauge field, the Lagrangian is invariant under the following transformation:

A_\mu \rightarrow UA_\mu U^\dagger - iU\partial_\mu U^\dagger

where U is an SU(N) matrix. This transformation is known as a gauge transformation and it is a symmetry of the theory. It can be shown that this transformation leaves the Lagrangian invariant, meaning that the equations of motion and physical observables remain unchanged.

For the case of U(1) gauge field, the transformation is slightly different:

A_\mu \rightarrow A + \partial_\mu f

where f is an arbitrary function. This is still a gauge transformation and it also leaves the Lagrangian invariant.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion you may have had. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your research!

Related to Gauge Potential Transformations

What is a gauge potential transformation?

A gauge potential transformation is a mathematical concept used in the field of physics, specifically in electromagnetism. It describes the change in the vector potential of an electromagnetic field due to a change in the gauge, or the mathematical representation of the field.

Why are gauge potential transformations important?

Gauge potential transformations are important because they allow for different mathematical representations of the same physical phenomenon. This allows for a more flexible and concise description of electromagnetic fields, making it easier to analyze and solve complex problems.

How do gauge potential transformations relate to gauge symmetry?

Gauge potential transformations are closely related to gauge symmetry, which is the principle that the laws of physics should remain unchanged when certain transformations are applied. In the case of gauge potential transformations, the gauge transformation should not alter the physical behavior of the electromagnetic field.

What is the difference between a gauge potential and a gauge potential transformation?

A gauge potential is a mathematical quantity used to represent an electromagnetic field, while a gauge potential transformation is a mathematical operation that changes the representation of the field. Essentially, a gauge potential is the "what" and a gauge potential transformation is the "how."

How are gauge potential transformations used in practical applications?

Gauge potential transformations are used in a variety of practical applications, including the study of electromagnetic fields, the design of electric circuits, and the development of new technologies such as semiconductors and lasers. They are also crucial in the development of theories and models in physics, such as quantum field theory and string theory.