Gap time between undegrad completion and PhD

In summary: No, I don't think so.Thanks for your input.In summary, my brother is a highly talented and motivated individual who has a strong academic record and a strong interest in pursuing a PhD in theoretical physics. However, due to the intense competition for graduate school slots, his admission prospects are currently very bleak.
practs
All,

My brother is a final year student at one of the top engineering colleges in India (IIT). He is pursuing mechanical engineering with a minor in physics. He is interested in doing a PhD in theoretical physics. This year his admission was declined by most major universities, so we are apprehensive about his future career options. Please advice if he should wait another year to apply again, if yes what's the best way to further improve his profile and his chances of admission next year. Or should he just take a corporate job?

Physics news on Phys.org
practs said:
This year his admission was declined by most major universities

So he was admitted somewhere? If so, why not take that offer?

jtbell said:
So he was admitted somewhere? If so, why not take that offer?
No - He applied to about 12 universities only thinking he had decent chances there. So currently 0 acceptances.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I was confused by your "most". :smile:

practs said:
All,

My brother is a final year student at one of the top engineering colleges in India (IIT). He is pursuing mechanical engineering with a minor in physics. He is interested in doing a PhD in theoretical physics. This year his admission was declined by most major universities, so we are apprehensive about his future career options. Please advice if he should wait another year to apply again, if yes what's the best way to further improve his profile and his chances of admission next year. Or should he just take a corporate job?
I don't see that waiting another year is going to improve your brother's prospects. You haven't indicated how well your brother is doing academically in his undergrad program, and this could be a major reason why his application for graduate school is not being considered favorably.

I would recommend to your brother that he contact the universities to which he submitted his application and ask them for their reasons for declining him.

Likes Vanadium 50
Thanks for your response.

To answer your question, my brother has maintained a 9 point GPA throughout his 4 years. He has done research projects in his area of interest in dark matter. His summer internship was in a top university in Germany in a similar field. He has a stellar academic record since high school. He scored full marks in GRE physics.
Hence we did not really doubt him converting his dream colleges but now we are but worried.
I will suggest to him to enquire about reason for rejection at the universities where he applied.
Do you think doing additional internships under a professor in theoretical physics improve his profile for applying next year? Should he look for any other courses such as masters? Are there any other career options available to him in his interest area?

It's probably more efficient to have your brother here directly, but in any event, I am with Steam King. Waiting is unlikely to help. Unfortunately, most schools won't provide a reason for declining other than "We had stronger candidates."

Likes blue_leaf77
practs said:

One of the flags that I see is that his degree is in mechanical engineering. The pool of applicants that he's competing with are likely full of high-achieving students who have completed degrees in physics. If there's any question that he might not have an adequate coursework background to be successful on a comprehensive exam, most admission committees will toss the application. Doing an extra internship is not likely to help if the problem is background preparation.

If they they feel his background is sufficient, there is still the problem of competing for the few available slots. Does he have a good answer for why a program should accept him over someone who has come through a program more directly related to the topic of graduate study?

Thank you for your advice.

He was aware of that weakness which is why he demonstrated interest in physics in his profile. He has done a minor in physics along with major in engineering which is a lot of extra courses and harder work. Beside this his projects are in his field of interest in physics rather than engineering.

He is really passionate for pursuing physics which is why he even opted out of getting a regular job like his classmates. Will doing an MSc in physics be useful to tackle this weakness?

First off, this is your brothers business, not yours. So I am going to assume this is about you, and you mention it is your brother as an excuse, for whatever reason.

You have a degree in ME. That is not a degree in physics. You should have an engineering approach and you had tons of applied course material. When you then apply to theoretical, I can see that there is a problem as no ME class will help you with theoretical physics and you have to think like a scientist, not like an engineer.
If it is some applied field, then there is a lot more synergy.

When it already takes the average physics BSc time to adjust and get worked into that theoretical group, then surely they are not eager to get a ME person.

I do suggest doing an MSc in physics. When you have no research experience, with handlebars on, in physics, let alone theoretical, it is just hard to get accepted when there's a lot of candidates. It just makes sense to do the coursework that prepares you for the internship/thesis, then do that, then get a PhD position.

It should be clear to the group you are applying to that you have the right background for their research group. So depending on how significant the minor was, you may or may not need an additional year of BSc physics courses to start the first year of the MSc. This is up to the institution where you are applying.

Should you take a corporate job? Maybe. Or find some PhD program where it actually helps to have an ME degree.

Related to Gap time between undegrad completion and PhD

What is the purpose of taking a gap time between undergraduate completion and PhD?

The purpose of taking a gap time between undergraduate completion and PhD can vary from person to person. Some students may want to gain more research or work experience before committing to a PhD program, while others may need time to save money for graduate school. Additionally, some students may want to take a break from academia and explore other interests before pursuing a PhD.

Will taking a gap time affect my chances of getting into a PhD program?

Taking a gap time between undergraduate completion and PhD will not necessarily affect your chances of getting into a PhD program. Admissions committees understand that students may need time to gain experience or save money before pursuing graduate studies. However, it is important to use this time wisely and make sure it aligns with your future academic and career goals.

How long should the gap time be?

The length of the gap time can vary depending on individual circumstances. Some students may only need a few months, while others may need a few years. It is important to consider your personal goals and what you hope to achieve during the gap time. It is also important to keep in mind that some PhD programs may have time limits on how long you can wait to enroll after being accepted.

What should I do during the gap time?

During the gap time, it is important to use your time wisely and productively. This could include gaining research experience, working in a relevant field, volunteering, or pursuing other interests and hobbies. It is also important to stay connected with your academic network and continue to develop your skills and knowledge in your field of study.

Will taking a gap time affect my financial aid or scholarships?

Taking a gap time may affect your financial aid or scholarships, as many of these resources are tied to enrollment in a degree program. It is important to communicate with your financial aid office and scholarship providers to understand how taking a gap time may impact your funding. Additionally, you may need to reapply for financial aid or scholarships when you are ready to enroll in a PhD program.