Gamma photon wavelength: Is there a limit?

In summary, the question of whether there is a limit to the energy of a photon is still open and there is no theoretical limit according to current physics. However, there may be differences in energy and frequency depending on the observer's frame of reference. The naming convention for gamma rays and x-rays is based on where they originate, but there may be other factors such as gravitational and doppler effects that can also affect their energy. Ultimately, the velocity of light remains constant for all observers, but the energy of a photon may vary.
jerromyjon
Is there any known limit to the energy of a photon? I've seen a reference to pair production in the highest bracket over 1.02 MeV and I've seen references to energies from cosmic sources in the TeV range which aren't very well understood but is there any theoretical limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
At least with current physics, such a limit is impossible. Imagine a photon would have a "maximal energy" in our lab frame. Then another observer, moving in the opposite direction, would observe a higher than maximal energy.

Thank you for your reply! I don't see how that makes a difference though, observation doesn't affect its maximal velocity. I am trying to grasp wavelength relevance which is exactly proportional to energy if I am not mistaken. I've read that the wavelength ranges overlap to some degree but generally gamma rays originate in the nucleus of atoms and x-rays originate from electrons in the shell. The wavelengths are roughly the scale of an atom and shorter for gamma, longer for hard x-rays. I'm just trying to get it into a reasonable perspective...;)

The velocity is always the speed of light.
The frequency and therefore the energy (yes, they are exactly proportional) depends on the observer.

jerromyjon said:
I've read that the wavelength ranges overlap to some degree but generally gamma rays originate in the nucleus of atoms and x-rays originate from electrons in the shell.
Well that is just a naming convention.

Is that exclusively due to frequency shift from gravitational, doppler and cosmological differences or are there other factors?

In the setup I described (as an example), just doppler effect.

Thank you very much, I get your point. Velocity is a constant because it is the same for all observers, but energy varies with respect to the observer.

Related to Gamma photon wavelength: Is there a limit?

1. What is the definition of gamma photon wavelength?

Gamma photon wavelength refers to the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a gamma ray's electromagnetic wave. It is measured in units of length, such as meters or nanometers.

2. Is there a maximum or minimum limit to gamma photon wavelength?

Yes, there is a minimum wavelength limit for gamma photons, which is determined by the energy of the photon. According to the Planck-Einstein relation, the energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, and inversely proportional to its wavelength. Therefore, as the energy of a gamma photon increases, its wavelength decreases, with a limit of zero for infinite energy. However, there is no known maximum limit to gamma photon wavelength.

3. How does gamma photon wavelength compare to other wavelengths in the electromagnetic spectrum?

Gamma photon wavelength is the shortest among all types of electromagnetic radiation, with a range of 10 picometers to 1 femtometer (10^-12 to 10^-15 meters). It falls between X-rays and high-energy ultraviolet radiation on the electromagnetic spectrum.

4. Can the wavelength of gamma photons be changed or manipulated?

No, the wavelength of gamma photons cannot be changed or manipulated, as it is an inherent property of the photon itself. However, the energy of a gamma photon can be altered through interactions with other particles or fields.

5. How is the wavelength of gamma photons measured?

The wavelength of gamma photons is typically measured using specialized instruments, such as gamma ray spectrometers or Compton scattering detectors. These instruments detect the interactions of gamma photons with matter and use the resulting signals to determine their wavelength.