Gamma matrices and projection operator question on different representations

In summary: For more information, you can refer to Srednicki's QFT book which covers all aspects of Clifford algebra and its representations, including charge conjugation.
choongstring
Typically I understand that projection operators are defined as

[tex]P_-=\frac{1}{2}(1-\gamma^5)[/tex]
[tex]P_+=\frac{1}{2}(1+\gamma^5)[/tex]

where typically also the fifth gamma matrices are defined as

[tex]\gamma^5=i\gamma^0\gamma^1\gamma^2\gamma^3[/tex]

and.. as we choose different representations the projection operators are.. sometimes in nice form where there is only one identity element however what happens when in certain representations it doesn't come out nicely like that how do I interpret which type of spinors are which chiraliity and such. .. anyways and what are some good materials. (shorter the better) on something complete on clifford algebra and it's representations and all the other things like charge conjugation and such.

Physics news on Phys.org
choongstring said:
Typically I understand that projection operators are defined as

[tex]P_-=\frac{1}{2}(1-\gamma^5)[/tex]
[tex]P_+=\frac{1}{2}(1+\gamma^5)[/tex]

where typically also the fifth gamma matrices are defined as

[tex]\gamma^5=i\gamma^0\gamma^1\gamma^2\gamma^3[/tex]

and.. as we choose different representations the projection operators are.. sometimes in nice form where there is only one identity element however what happens when in certain representations it doesn't come out nicely like that how do I interpret which type of spinors are which chiraliity and such. .. anyways and what are some good materials. (shorter the better) on something complete on clifford algebra and it's representations and all the other things like charge conjugation and such.

It's just that in other representations the left-handed and right-handed spinors are mixed. It's super clear if you use the two-component notation. For references you can read Srednicki's QFT book.

So even in other representations, left-handed and right-handed are defined as
(0,1) (1,0) kind of way? (although this is not a rigorous definition)

choongstring said:
So even in other representations, left-handed and right-handed are defined as
(0,1) (1,0) kind of way? (although this is not a rigorous definition)

In any representation, the chiral basis is defined as the eigenvector of the projection operator. So it won't always be like (1,0).

Related to Gamma matrices and projection operator question on different representations

What are gamma matrices and projection operators?

Gamma matrices are a set of mathematical objects used in quantum field theory to describe the spin of particles. Projection operators are mathematical operators that can project a vector onto a subspace of a larger vector space.

How are gamma matrices and projection operators related?

Gamma matrices are used to construct projection operators, which are used to project out specific components of a vector. In quantum field theory, gamma matrices are used to construct spin projection operators that act on the wave function of a particle.

What are the different representations of gamma matrices?

The most commonly used representations of gamma matrices are the Dirac, Weyl, and Majorana representations. These different representations are related to each other by unitary transformations and are used in different contexts.

How do gamma matrices and projection operators behave under Lorentz transformations?

Gamma matrices and projection operators are Lorentz invariant, meaning that they do not change under Lorentz transformations. This is important in quantum field theory, where Lorentz invariance is a fundamental principle.

What is the physical significance of gamma matrices and projection operators?

Gamma matrices and projection operators are important in quantum field theory, where they are used to describe the properties of particles and their interactions. They are also used in other areas of physics, such as condensed matter physics and general relativity.