Galactic mass proportional to r

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate galactic mass as a function of r, with the understanding that it is proportional to r. Two equations, M(r)=v2r/G and M(r)=vrc2/G, are suggested, and the question arises as to which one is correct and what value to use for v. It is then mentioned that the rotation curve is flat, allowing for the calculation of v using the radius and total mass of the galaxy. The conversation then shifts to a discussion of a tidal force calculation, with the formula r=(d3m/(2MR))1/2 being proposed. The components of this formula are explained as m being the total mass of the galaxy the star is in, R being
StephenPrivitera
How do I calculate galactic mass as a function of r? I know it is supposed to be proportional to r. I've seen,
M(r)=v2r/G
And also I've seen
M(r)=vrc2/G
Which if any is right?
And what do I use for v?
Thanks so much for your help!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
The rotation curve is flat so I can find v by plugging in the radius and total mass of the galaxy. Doing that I get,
M(r)=Mr/R, where M is the total mass of the galaxy and R is the radius of the galaxy
I'm trying to do a tidal force calculation to see how far away from the center of a galaxy a star needs to be to be tidally disrupted by a nearby galaxy. I'm getting
r=(d3m/(2MR))1/2 where m is the total mass of the galaxy that the star lies in, R is the radius of that galaxy, M is the total mass of the nearby galaxy, and d is the distance between the two galactic centers. Can anyone verify this?

Related to Galactic mass proportional to r

1. What does "Galactic mass proportional to r" mean?

"Galactic mass proportional to r" is a scientific concept that describes the relationship between the mass of a galaxy and its distance from the center, known as the radius (r). This means that as the distance from the center of a galaxy increases, the mass of the galaxy also increases.

2. How is the relationship between galactic mass and r determined?

The relationship between galactic mass and r is determined through observations and calculations using data from various astronomical instruments such as telescopes and satellites. Scientists also use mathematical models and theories to understand this relationship.

3. What is the significance of galactic mass being proportional to r?

The relationship between galactic mass and r is significant because it helps us understand the structure and formation of galaxies. It also provides insight into the distribution of matter within a galaxy and its gravitational forces.

4. Does this relationship hold true for all galaxies?

While the concept of galactic mass being proportional to r is generally accepted, it may not hold true for all galaxies. Some galaxies may have unique characteristics or interactions with other galaxies that affect this relationship.

5. How does this concept relate to dark matter?

One theory about dark matter is that it makes up a large portion of the mass of galaxies and is distributed in a similar way as visible matter, following the "Galactic mass proportional to r" relationship. However, more research and evidence is needed to fully understand the role of dark matter in this relationship.