Galactic Habitable Zone Theory: A Physiologist's Inquiry

In summary, the galactic habitable zone theory is speculative and does not have much evidence to support it.
cbrons
I'm a physiologist, not in anyway well-versed in physics beyond what I took as a pre-medical student. Forgive any lapses in proper vocabulary or wording of my inquiries.

I have a question about the habitable zone theory. Not so much this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circumstellar_habitable_zone in terms of an individual star and satellite but more so about the galaxy in general. What do you think of the galactic "habitable zone" theory that postulates life can really only exist in a narrow band of the galaxy. As wikipedia says, "the galactic habitable zone is the region of a galaxy in which life is most likely to develop [...] For the Milky Way this region is commonly believed to be an annulus with an outer radius of about 10 kiloparsecs and an inner radius close to the Galactic Center, both of which lack hard boundaries."

The reason I am asking is because I am writer of science fiction, and while I'm not qualified to write really hard sci-fi, I'd rather not create alien planets in regions of the galaxy that even amateur cosmologists will read about and promptly throw my writing into the trash.

Space news on Phys.org
The whole Galaxy habitability zone is easy to take out of context. It doesn't suggest that life can only form in certain areas, but that complex life should be more common in certain locations within the galaxy.

http://arxiv.org/pdf/astro-ph/0612316v1.pdf

I can understand an inner boundary, beause of the black hole at the center. However, where did the 10 kiloparsec outer boundary come from?

mathman said:
I can understand an inner boundary, beause of the black hole at the center. However, where did the 10 kiloparsec outer boundary come from?
SN explosions due to high rates of star formation in the spiral arms, and I guess disturbing of a systems Oort Cloud which just doesn't sound very convincing.

Then there is this http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2004GL021890/abstract

Last edited:
cbrons said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_habitable_zone

an outer radius of about 10 kiloparsecs

The reason I am asking is because I am writer of science fiction, and while I'm not qualified to write really hard sci-fi, I'd rather not create alien planets in regions of the galaxy that even amateur cosmologists will read about and promptly throw my writing into the trash.

The solar system is roughly 10 kpc from center, as I recall. that would be a bit over 30,000 lightyears.
This source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactic_Center says 8.3 kpc (or about 27,000 ly).

I wouldn't worry. It is not as well-defined a concept as the circumstellar hab zone.

What you want is stars and planets formed out of clouds that were enriched with heavier elements, not just H and He. But there are surely some of those out beyond 10 kPc

Last edited:
mathman said:
My guess would be it's all about metal abundance. You need a significant abundance of heavy elements for life to form, and that's only going to happen in regions where there are enough supernovae to form and disperse the heavy elements throughout the region.

Chalnoth said:
My guess would be it's all about metal abundance. You need a significant abundance of heavy elements for life to form, and that's only going to happen in regions where there are enough supernovae to form and disperse the heavy elements throughout the region.

I thought there would be higher amounts of heavy elements found in the spiral arms?

Student100 said:
I thought there would be higher amounts of heavy elements found in the spiral arms?

The spiral arms, being where the galaxy is most dense (the spirals are actually density fluctuations after all) are thus a center place for where new and active star formation forms. I've read that it's not desirable to live in the spiral arms themselves because of all this star formation, and therefore star death, which will lead to supernovae.

Of course it's also not good to be in the halo because those are all old stars with very low metalicity. The central bulge is filled with too many stars apparently. So the guess is to look in the disc of the galaxy, between the spiral arms, not too close to the enter. (realistically speaking, even our exo planet search is centered on such a pathetically small neighborhood of our sun that such considerations are basically moot.)

But really the whole galactic habitable zone theory is quite speculative. Even more so than the stellar habitable zone theory which is itself already speculative. With only one sample point so far, it's pretty hard, actually impossible, to draw any hard conclusions.

Related to Galactic Habitable Zone Theory: A Physiologist's Inquiry

1. What is the Galactic Habitable Zone Theory?

The Galactic Habitable Zone Theory is a hypothesis proposed by scientists that suggests there is a specific region within a galaxy where conditions are most suitable for the development and sustainability of life. This zone takes into account the complex interplay of various galactic factors, such as metallicity, radiation, and stellar density, that are necessary for the formation and evolution of habitable planets.

2. How is the Galactic Habitable Zone determined?

The Galactic Habitable Zone is determined by analyzing the distribution of stars and their characteristics within a galaxy. This includes factors such as the metallicity of stars, their distance from the galactic center, and the presence of potentially hazardous radiation. By studying these factors, scientists can identify the region where the conditions are most favorable for supporting life.

3. What role does metallicity play in the Galactic Habitable Zone Theory?

Metallicity, or the abundance of elements heavier than hydrogen and helium, is a crucial factor in determining the habitability of a region within a galaxy. Higher metallicity levels indicate a higher likelihood of Earth-like planets, which are necessary for the development and sustainability of life. Therefore, the Galactic Habitable Zone is primarily determined by the metallicity levels of stars within a galaxy.

4. How does the Galactic Habitable Zone Theory impact the search for extraterrestrial life?

The Galactic Habitable Zone Theory helps guide the search for extraterrestrial life by narrowing down the regions within a galaxy where life is most likely to exist. This allows scientists to focus their efforts and resources on studying these areas and potentially finding evidence of habitable planets or other forms of life. Additionally, this theory also helps us understand the likelihood of finding intelligent life in our galaxy.

5. Is the Galactic Habitable Zone Theory universally applicable?

No, the Galactic Habitable Zone Theory is not universally applicable to all galaxies. This theory is based on our understanding of the conditions necessary for life on Earth and may not apply to other forms of life or different environmental conditions. Additionally, factors such as the size and age of a galaxy can also affect the location and extent of the Galactic Habitable Zone within it.