G Forces experienced by human if rotated inside a giant hampster wheel

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving a giant wheel with a 30m radius that will rotate at a velocity fast enough to keep a human on the inside surface without being attached. The conversation also mentions calculating the speed and G-forces at different points on the wheel, as well as the possibility of walking on the surface during rotation. The suggested calculation for speed is sqrt(10/30) = 0.58 rad/s, and the highest G-force is 2G at the bottom of the wheel. Changing the radius to 40m would result in a new G-force of 2.3G at the bottom.
tiob_
I am working on an a project that consists of a giant wheel with a 30m radius that will be rotating at a velocity fast enough to keep a human on the inside surface of the wheel without being attached.

Please refer to 30s in for reference of similar motion performed by a hamster:

Can somebody please help me in calculating the speed at which the wheel needs to rotate to keep a human (70kg) unrestrained freely rotating around the inside of the wheel?

And secondly, how to calculate the varying G-forces exerted at the bottom, top and sides of the wheel.

Thirdly, I am assuming that theoretically it would be possible for the human to then begin to walk a long the inside surface during the rotation?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have any idea how to go about doing the calculations you are asking for? It is not the intent of this forum to simply provide answers. If you try it yourself and get stuck, we're here to help.

If you know absolutely nothing about how to do this, then perhaps you should think of a different project.

edit- didn't see reply #1 when I clicked reply! Not sure what to do now...
The person is most likely to fall when at the very top of the wheel, and at a certain rotational speed, the force required to keep him in circular motion can be made equal to his own weight (which acts through the axis of rotation). You can find this by equating the two quantities, mg = mrw^2. The weight of the human doesn't play a part in the calculation after cancellation, and if r = 30 then it leaves you with an angular speed of sqrt(10/30) = 0.58 rad/s.

At this point the reaction from the floor will be momentarily zero, and the g-force is zero because the man is essentially in free-fall. Regarding the rest of the rotation, the force that the rotating man experiences (in his non-inertial frame) is mg from gravity (down) plus mg from centrifugal (outward). The highest force he feels is at the bottom where it is exactly 2G.

It should be possible to walk along the inside certainly, although it will be very tricky as the reaction force below his feet goes from 0 to 2G every 6 seconds.

Sorry phinds, for not posting my attempt. As you can see its my first post. I did an A level in physics, but it was a while ago. My brain has since been filled with architectural jargon.

And thank you very much MickeyW. This is actually what I got but for some reason I thought it seemed too little a value.

I see a very interesting architectural proposition coming out of this.

Reminds me of this project. http://www.julijonasurbonas.lt/p/euthanasia-coaster/

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
So just elaborate on this, if the wheel stays at a constant angular velocity of 0.571 rad/s and the radius of the wheel gets altered to 40m.

Would g increase to 13.04?

mg=mrw^2
g=40x0.571^2
g=13.04

and thus the force felt at the bottom of the wheel 9.81+13.04 = 2.3G?

Last edited:

Related to G Forces experienced by human if rotated inside a giant hampster wheel

1. What exactly is a G Force?

A G Force, or gravitational force, is a measurement of the acceleration experienced by an object or person relative to the force of gravity. It is expressed in units of "Gs", with 1 G being equal to the force of gravity on Earth.

2. How does being rotated inside a giant hamster wheel affect the G Forces experienced by a human?

Being rotated inside a giant hamster wheel would cause the G Forces experienced by a human to increase significantly, due to the constant acceleration and change in direction. This would be similar to the experience of riding a roller coaster, where the G Forces can reach up to 4 or 5 Gs.

3. Can the G Forces experienced in a giant hamster wheel be dangerous for humans?

Yes, the G Forces experienced in a giant hamster wheel can be dangerous for humans if they exceed a certain threshold. The human body is able to withstand up to about 5 Gs for short periods of time, but prolonged exposure to higher G Forces can cause dizziness, nausea, and even loss of consciousness.

4. How do astronauts train to withstand high G Forces during space missions?

Astronauts train to withstand high G Forces through various exercises and simulations, such as centrifuges and parabolic flights. These activities help them to build up their tolerance to G Forces and prepare them for the physical demands of space travel.

5. Is there a maximum limit to the G Forces that a human can withstand?

Yes, there is a maximum limit to the G Forces that a human can withstand. The exact limit varies for each individual, but it is generally accepted that the human body can withstand up to 9 Gs for a brief period of time before sustaining serious injury or death.