Future of a particle in a box - I'm fundamentally confused

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion over the concept of a particle remaining localized in a one-dimensional infinite potential well. The question is whether the particle will stay confined to the right half of the box. The answer is that the particle's state will evolve according to the Schrodinger equation, as it is a superposition of eigenstates. Only energy eigenstates will remain stationary, as the Hamiltonian is the generator of time evolution. The conversation also mentions the importance of the Hamiltonian as the energy operator and suggests seeking additional resources for further understanding.
timn
Future of a particle in a box -- I'm fundamentally confused

Homework Statement

A particle is somewhere in the right half of a one-dimensional infinite potential well with sides at x=-a/2 and x=a/2. The particle's wave function is constant over x, i.e.

[tex]\psi(x) = \sqrt{2/a}[/tex]

for 0<x<a/2 and zero for all other x.

Will the particle remain localized at later times?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even understand the question. How could you call this particle localized, when all we know about its position is a probability function? Does "remain localized" mean that the probability function doesn't change, or that we know how it will change?

What would happen with the particle if it was just left there? Would the wave function change, and if so, why?

A "free" particle in a box has the wave function http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_in_a_box#Wavefunctions" -- why doesn't this one? Is it because we already have some information on its position?

Sorry if the questions are many.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

The problem is asking you, will the particle stay confined to the right half of the box?

You're confusing the state of the system with the eigenstates of the system. The eigenstates are special in that a system in an eigenstate will remain in that eigenstate. That's why they're sometimes referred to as stationary states. Generally, the system will be in a superposition of eigenstates, and the state will evolve as determined by the Schrodinger equation.

So since the state of the system is not a single eigenstate, but a superposition of at least two, it will change with time.

Your answer made me a lot wiser -- thank you!

vela said:
The eigenstates are special in that a system in an eigenstate will remain in that eigenstate. That's why they're sometimes referred to as stationary states.

I was under the impression that if you make a measurement, you will measure the eigenvalue corresponding to the system being in a particular eigenstate, but you could only assume the system to again be found in that eigenstate immediately after the initial measurement?

when you say "system in an eigenstate will remain in that eigenstate", do you mean indefinitely?

You're right. I should have explicitly said energy eigenstates, which is what I was talking about. The system won't necessarily stay in eigenstates of other observables indefinitely.

vela said:
You're right. I should have explicitly said energy eigenstates, which is what I was talking about. The system won't necessarily stay in eigenstates of other observables indefinitely.

What is special about energy eigenstates? How could I know if an eigenstate of a quantity is such that the particle stays in it indefinitely?

Also, are other eigenstates still called stationary states, even if they aren't stationary?

Are you learning qm yourself, or are you taking a course? Most of these questions are standard questions that should be addressed in any QM class.

Matterwave, I'm learning on my own by reading Gasiorowicz's Quantum Physics, which I know is used for introductory QM courses. I'd love a suggestion for a way to find the answers to these standard questions without bothering the helpful people over here.

Last edited:

It's because the Hamiltonian is the generator of time evolution. A stationary state is an eigenstate of the Hamiltonian.

Thanks vela! I forgot that the Hamiltonian is the energy operator. Much clearer now.

Related to Future of a particle in a box - I'm fundamentally confused

What is a particle in a box and why is it important in physics?

A particle in a box is a theoretical concept used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined within a potential well. It is important in physics because it helps us understand the properties and behavior of quantum systems, which are crucial for many technological advancements.

What is the Schrödinger equation and how does it relate to the future of a particle in a box?

The Schrödinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It relates to the future of a particle in a box by providing a mathematical framework for predicting its behavior and determining its energy levels.

What is the uncertainty principle and how does it affect the future of a particle in a box?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This affects the future of a particle in a box by limiting our ability to accurately predict its behavior, as its position and momentum can never be precisely known simultaneously.

What is the role of boundary conditions in determining the future of a particle in a box?

Boundary conditions, such as the size and shape of the potential well, play a crucial role in determining the future of a particle in a box. These conditions affect the energy levels and allowed states of the particle, which ultimately determine its behavior and evolution over time.

What are some real-world applications of the concept of a particle in a box?

The concept of a particle in a box has many real-world applications, including in the development of electronic devices, such as transistors and computer chips, and in the study of semiconductors and superconductors. It also has applications in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules in chemical reactions and in the development of new materials with specific properties.