Fusion with Nutcracker: Is it Possible?

• Thread starter Bengey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fusion
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a mechanical device to fuse deuterium and tritium atoms, avoiding high temperatures and pressures. While such systems already exist in the form of stars, the conversation explores the idea of creating a smaller, more controllable version using nanotechnology or laser fusion with tiny fuel pellets. However, the challenges of confining the necessary force and preventing diffusion make this approach unlikely to be successful.
Bengey
Would it be possible to mechanically trap deuterium and tritum atoms and squeeze them together in a nutcracker type device to fuse them? I believe we have technology to manipulate individual atoms, or at least small quantities, and it should be possible to get them into a vise. This would avoid the high energies and temperatures of other approaches.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well what you are looking for here is device capable of generating such a high pressure and density that the atoms spontaneously fuse.
Such systems are not only possible, they actually exist, but they are hardly 'low energy'.
They are called stars.

Likes bharathraman
rootone said:
Well what you are looking for here is device capable of generating such a high pressure and density that the atoms spontaneously fuse.
Such systems are not only possible, they actually exist, but they are hardly 'low energy'.
They are called stars.
No, I'm looking for a device to mechanically overcome the Coulomb force for just a few atoms at a time, avoiding high temp and pressure. I believe the energy needed is on the order of .1MeV

The problem is confining the force needed to a small area. Laser fusion program is vaguely similar to what you want.

Likes bharathraman
What I'm asking is whether some kind of mechanical confinement can achieve the goal. We've made great advances in nanotechnology, why not nano-nutcrackers to squeeze atoms together? As for laser fusion, wouldn't that also be easier to achieve with micro or nano-sized fuel pellets?

Bengey said:
What I'm asking is whether some kind of mechanical confinement can achieve the goal. We've made great advances in nanotechnology, why not nano-nutcrackers to squeeze atoms together? As for laser fusion, wouldn't that also be easier to achieve with micro or nano-sized fuel pellets?

There are diamond anvils that create great pressures. But not nearly enough for fusion. It seems to me that almost any material would shatter before it would cause hydrogen to fuse.

Right now they are trying to produce liquid metallic hydrogen with diamond anvils, but the diamonds shatter. It seems to me that the hydrogen is going to diffuse into any conceivable material before it will fuse with itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would the first problem go away if you're dealing with very small amounts? If I'm right about needing only on the order of .1MeV, that doesn't seem diamond-shattering. On the other hand the diffusion issue seems more serious. Or would a speedy operation get around that?

Bengey said:
Pellets are small. ~.1 mm diameter in at least one program.

Which program, and do you know if that's giving them better results?

Bengey said:
Which program, and do you know if that's giving them better results?
The only specific size I found was for an older program (Shiva). Google "laser fusion pellet" gives lots of hits, but it is hard to find numbers for the size.

Bengey said:
No, I'm looking for a device to mechanically overcome the Coulomb force for just a few atoms at a time, avoiding high temp and pressure. I believe the energy needed is on the order of .1MeV
Yes that's the ballpark, fusion occurs as low as ~0.01 MeV for the ions of deuterium and tritium fuel. One way to look at the problem with using a mechanical "nutcracker" is that the chemical bonds holding together solid lattices are on order of a couple eV, tens of thousands times less: a bit like trying slam two cannon balls together with cotton candy. That's of course as one would expect, else fusion would be ongoing all the time inside the Earth where pressures are extreme, but far short of that which can be found inside of a star.

Likes e.bar.goum
mheslep said:
a bit like trying slam two cannon balls together with cotton candy

I'm going to have to remember that analogy, it's just a bit brilliant.

Related to Fusion with Nutcracker: Is it Possible?

1. Can a nutcracker be fused with another object using fusion technology?

Yes, it is possible to fuse a nutcracker with another object using fusion technology. Fusion is the process of combining two or more objects to create a new, stronger object. With the advancements in fusion technology, it is possible to fuse almost any object together.

2. What are the potential benefits of fusing a nutcracker with another object?

Fusing a nutcracker with another object can have several potential benefits. It can result in a stronger, more durable nutcracker that can withstand more pressure. It can also create a more versatile tool, combining the functions of both objects. Additionally, fusing with another object can also allow for more precise and efficient use of energy.

3. Are there any risks or limitations to fusing a nutcracker with another object?

As with any fusion process, there are risks and limitations involved. The success of the fusion depends on the compatibility of the materials and the precision of the fusion process. There may also be potential safety hazards if the fusion is not done correctly or if the fused object is not used properly.

4. What materials can be used to fuse with a nutcracker?

A variety of materials can be used to fuse with a nutcracker, including metals, plastics, and other composite materials. The choice of material will depend on the specific requirements and desired properties of the fused object.

5. Is fusion with a nutcracker currently being done in any scientific research or industry?

Yes, fusion with a nutcracker is currently being explored in various scientific research and industrial applications. For example, some researchers are studying the potential benefits of fusing a nutcracker with diamond to create a more efficient cutting tool. Some industries are also using fusion technology to create stronger and more durable nutcrackers for commercial use.