Further reading after Theoretical Minimum

In summary, the speaker has just finished secondary school and read 'The Theoretical Minimum' by Leonhard Susskind and George Hrabovsky as an introduction to classical physics and math. They are now looking for a follow-up book that is not too difficult for a beginner. Some recommendations are the Feynman Lectures on Physics for a conceptual grasp and Ramamurti Shankar's open Yale class for a complementary approach. Another suggestion is "Thinking Physics" by Lewis Carrol Epstein, which focuses on intuition and experimental side of physics.
Patrick Farnworth
Hi,

I've just finished secondary school and am keen to learn some physics before going on to college. As part of this I've just finished reading 'The Theoretical Minimum' by Leonhard Susskind and George Hrabovsky. The book was a really helpful introduction to classical physics and the maths involved. My question is what good books are there to follow on from this without being too difficult for a beginner? I know that there is a follow on for this book about Quantum Mechanics but I don't want to move on to anything like this before in have a better understanding of classical physics.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are looking to have a very good conceptual grasp I recommend Feynman Lectures on Physics.It doesn't involve too much maths and explains things in a way that really makes you want to know more about the subject.

The theoretical minimum has given you the abstract point of view of theoretical physics. Instead of deepening this, you could also pursue the complementary approach which puts more emphasis on intuition and the experimental side of physics. A nice book for this is "Thinking Physics" by Lewis Carrol Epstein.

Related to Further reading after Theoretical Minimum

1. What is Theoretical Minimum?

Theoretical Minimum is a series of books and online courses created by physicist Leonard Susskind, covering the fundamental concepts of physics and mathematics.

2. What topics are covered in Theoretical Minimum?

The Theoretical Minimum series covers topics such as classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and special and general relativity.

3. Are there any recommended resources for further reading after Theoretical Minimum?

Yes, there are several recommended resources for further reading after completing Theoretical Minimum. Some suggestions include textbooks on specific topics, online lectures, and scientific journals.

4. Can Theoretical Minimum be used as a substitute for formal education in physics?

No, Theoretical Minimum is not intended to be a substitute for a formal education in physics. It is meant to supplement and enhance one's understanding of the subject.

5. Is Theoretical Minimum suitable for beginners with no background in physics?

Theoretical Minimum is designed for individuals with some background in mathematics and physics, but it may be challenging for complete beginners. It is recommended to have at least a high school level understanding of these subjects before starting the series.