Further question on My Fractions problem

• MHB
  • Thread starter tmt1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fractions
In summary, there was a typo in the given answer which resulted in the wrong slope for the tangent line. The correct equation for the tangent line is y = (5/6)x + (13/6). The original problem was to find the equation of the line tangent to the graph of x^2 + (y-x)^3 = 9 at x = 1. After implicitly differentiating and solving for dy/dx, the slope at (1, 3) was found to be 5/6. Using the point-slope formula, the equation of the tangent line was determined to be y = (5/6)x + (13/6). This was confirmed by a plot of the curve and the tangent
tmt1
I have a separate question on the same problem from my prior post.

I need an equation for a tangent which has a slope of 5/6 and passes through (1,3)

y-3 = 5/6(x-1)

I simplify this to

y= 5/6x +13/6

However the answer given is y = 7/6(x) + 13/6

Where am I going wrong?

Yours,

Timothy

Physics news on Phys.org
Your line has the required slope, while the given answer has the wrong slope. It is most likely a typo somewhere, either in the statement of the problem or the given answer. Can you post the original problem in its entirety?

PROBLEM 11 : Find an equation of the line tangent to the graph of x2 + (y-x)3 = 9 at x=1 . 'This is the end of the answer:

Thus, the slope of the line tangent to the graph at (1, 3) is

$ m = y' = \displaystyle{ 3 (3-1)^2 - 2(1) \over 3 (3-1)^2 } = \displaystyle{ 10 \over 12 } = \displaystyle{ 5 \over 6 } $ ,

and the equation of the tangent line is

y - ( 3 ) = (5/6) ( x - ( 1 ) ) ,

or

y = (7/6) x + (13/6) .

I suspect it is a typo in the answer. Here is the link for the full answer.

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba...soldirectory/ImplicitDiffSol.html#SOLUTION 11

Okay, I see now...I assumed the slope was given as 5/6. Let's take a look at the problem. We are given the curve:

\(\displaystyle x^2+(y-x)^3=9\)

So, implicitly differentiating with respect to $x$, we find:

\(\displaystyle 2x+3(y-x)^2\left(\frac{dy}{dx}-1 \right)=0\)

Solving for \(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}\), we find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=1-\frac{2x}{3(y-x)^2}\)

Now, when $x=1$, we find from the original curve:

\(\displaystyle 1^2+(y-1)^3=9\)

\(\displaystyle y=3\)

And so we find the slope at the given point is:

\(\displaystyle \left.\frac{dy}{dx} \right|_{(x,y)=(1,3)}=1-\frac{2(1)}{3(3-1)^2}=1-\frac{2}{12}=\frac{5}{6}\)

Hence, using the point-slope formula, we obtain the tangent line:

\(\displaystyle y-3=\frac{5}{6}(x-1)\)

\(\displaystyle y=\frac{5}{6}x+\frac{13}{6}\)

Here is a plot of the curve and the tangent line:

View attachment 2098

I agree with your answer. (Yes)

Attachments

• tmt.jpg
    tmt.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 54
tmt said:
PROBLEM 11 : Find an equation of the line tangent to the graph of x2 + (y-x)3 = 9 at x=1 . 'This is the end of the answer:

Thus, the slope of the line tangent to the graph at (1, 3) is

$ m = y' = \displaystyle{ 3 (3-1)^2 - 2(1) \over 3 (3-1)^2 } = \displaystyle{ 10 \over 12 } = \displaystyle{ 5 \over 6 } $ ,

and the equation of the tangent line is

y - ( 3 ) = (5/6) ( x - ( 1 ) ) ,

or

y = (7/6) x + (13/6) .

I suspect it is a typo in the answer. Here is the link for the full answer.

https://www.math.ucdavis.edu/~kouba...soldirectory/ImplicitDiffSol.html#SOLUTION 11

I concur that both you and MarkFL are correct, the link you provided has a typo in the very last line (it is correct until that), and the correct tangent line has the equation:

$y = \dfrac{5}{6}x + \dfrac{13}{6}$

Related to Further question on My Fractions problem

1. What is the purpose of the fractions problem?

The purpose of the fractions problem is to test your understanding of basic fraction operations, including addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

2. How do I approach solving the fractions problem?

To solve the fractions problem, start by simplifying each fraction to its lowest terms. Then, use the appropriate operation (addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division) to combine the fractions. Finally, check your answer by converting the resulting fraction back to its lowest terms.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve the fractions problem?

No, the fractions problem is designed to be solved without the use of a calculator. This allows you to practice your mental math skills and better understand the concept of fractions.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for solving the fractions problem?

One helpful tip for solving the fractions problem is to always make sure the denominators (bottom numbers) are the same before combining or comparing fractions. You can do this by finding the lowest common denominator or by using cross-multiplication.

5. What if I get stuck on the fractions problem?

If you get stuck on the fractions problem, try breaking it down into smaller, easier steps. You can also ask a friend or teacher for help, or use online resources to review the concept of fractions and practice similar problems.