Further applications of integration

In summary: I think I know the problem. I forgot to substitute back in for x in the final answer. I'll do that now.Okay, now it's fixed. Thanks for pointing that out. Sorry for the mistake. In summary, the conversation is about how to evaluate the integral $\int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \sqrt{1+\frac{4}{x^2}},dx$. The expert provided a step by step solution using the substitution $x=2\tan(\theta)$ and $dx=2(\sec(\theta))^2$. The conversation then briefly discusses a different approach before returning to the original method. The expert then points out a small mistake in the final answer and
ineedhelpnow
so i know I've asked this question before but id really like a step by step walk through with a few questions. starting with $\int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \sqrt{1+\frac{4}{x^2}},dx$

i know I am not showing any work but id like to see how to this can properly be done. thanks

wait never mind i think i got it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
i didnt put the integral sign for each step
$\int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \sqrt{1+\frac{4}{x^2}},dx = \sqrt{\frac{x^2+4}{x^2}} = \frac{\sqrt{x^2+4}}{x}$
let $x=2\tan\left({\theta}\right)$ and $dx=2(\sec\left({\theta}\right))^{2}$
$\frac{\sqrt{4(\tan\left({\theta}\right))^2+4}}{2\tan\left({\theta}\right)} \times (\sec\left({\theta}\right))^{2}$
all i did then was simplify that until i got to $\frac{1}{2} \int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \frac{1}{\sin\left({\theta}\right)} d\theta + 2\int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \tan\left({\theta}\right) \times \sec\left({\theta}\right) d\theta$

what do i do now? do i do u-sub?

This is how I would work the problem:

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{\frac{\pi}{3}}^{\pi}\sqrt{1+\left(\frac{2}{x}\right)^2}\,dx\)

Make the substitution:

\(\displaystyle \frac{2}{x}=\tan(\theta)\implies x=2\cot(\theta)\,\therefore\,dx=-2\csc^2(\theta)\,d\theta\)

To change our limits, consider:

\(\displaystyle \theta=\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{2}{x}\right)\)

And so we now have:

\(\displaystyle I=2\int_{\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)}^{\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{6}{\pi}\right)} \sec(\theta)\csc^2(\theta)\,d\theta\)

Using the Pythagorean identity:

\(\displaystyle \csc^2(\theta)=1+\cot^2(\theta)\)

We may now write:

\(\displaystyle I=2\int_{\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)}^{\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{6}{\pi}\right)} \sec(\theta)+\cot(\theta)\csc(\theta)\,d\theta\)

Applying the FTOC, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=2\left[\ln\left|\sec(\theta)+\tan(\theta)\right|-\csc(\theta)\right]_{\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{2}{\pi}\right)}^{\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{6}{\pi}\right)}=2\left(\left(\ln\left(\frac{6+\sqrt{\pi^2+36}}{\pi}\right)-\frac{\sqrt{\pi^2+36}}{6}\right)-\left(\ln\left(\frac{2+\sqrt{\pi^2+4}}{\pi}\right)-\frac{\sqrt{\pi^2+4}}{2}\right)\right)\)

Simplifying, we get:

\(\displaystyle I=2\left(\ln\left(\frac{6+\sqrt{\pi^2+36}}{2+\sqrt{\pi^2+4}}\right)+\frac{3\sqrt{\pi^2+4}-\sqrt{\pi^2+36}}{6}\right)\)

ineedhelpnow said:
i didnt put the integral sign for each step
$\int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \sqrt{1+\frac{4}{x^2}},dx = \sqrt{\frac{x^2+4}{x^2}} = \frac{\sqrt{x^2+4}}{x}$
let $x=2\tan\left({\theta}\right)$ and $dx=2(\sec\left({\theta}\right))^{2}$
$\frac{\sqrt{4(\tan\left({\theta}\right))^2+4}}{2\tan\left({\theta}\right)} \times (\sec\left({\theta}\right))^{2}$
all i did then was simplify that until i got to $\frac{1}{2} \int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \frac{1}{\sin\left({\theta}\right)} d\theta + 2\int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \tan\left({\theta}\right) \times \sec\left({\theta}\right) d\theta$

what do i do now? do i do u-sub?

In the other thread I told you step by step what to do, which was essentially identical to what you just posted here. I also went further and told you how to continue.

@Prove It
I tried it this way to see if it would work because it seemed simple then I went back and did it your way again and I got stuck.

ineedhelpnow said:
@Prove It
I tried it this way to see if it would work because it seemed simple then I went back and did it your way again and I got stuck.

I told you the very next step already. Go back and re-read it.

the substitution? I did that but I ended up getting lost. I found another way to do and it's pretty simple, the only problem I'm having with it is trying to simplify the final answer.

$y=2\ln\left({x}\right) from \pi/3 to \pi$

$\int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \sqrt{x+(\frac{2}{x})^2}dx = \int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \sqrt{x+\frac{4}{x^2}}dx
= \int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \sqrt{\frac{x^2+4}{x^2}}dx = \int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \frac{\sqrt{x^2+2^2}}{x}dx
= [\sqrt{4+x^2}-2\ln\left({\frac{2+\sqrt{4+x^2}}{2}}\right)]_{\pi/3}^{\pi} = [\sqrt{4+\pi^2}-2\ln\left({\frac{2+\sqrt{4+\pi^2}}{2}}\right)]-[\sqrt{4+\pi^2/9}-2\ln\left({\frac{2+\sqrt{4+\pi^2/9}}{2}}\right)]$

is that correct?

Your final value for the definite integral is slightly different from the result I posted above, and I think I see why. According to the table of integrals in my old calculus textbook, there results:

\(\displaystyle \int\frac{\sqrt{a^2+u^2}}{u}\,du=\sqrt{a^2+u^2}-a\ln\left|\frac{a+\sqrt{a^2+u^2}}{u}\right|+C\)

It appears that you put $a$ in the denominator of the natural log function instead of $u$. Correcting this will give you the same result I gave above.

oh that totally slipped past me. I didn't even notice, I'll fix it now.

$\int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \sqrt{x+(\frac{2}{x})^2}dx = \int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \sqrt{x+\frac{4}{x^2}}dx
= \int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \sqrt{\frac{x^2+4}{x^2}}dx = \int_{\pi/3}^{\pi} \ \frac{\sqrt{x^2+2^2}}{x}dx
= [\sqrt{4+x^2}-2\ln\left({\frac{2+\sqrt{4+x^2}}{x}}\right)]_{\pi/3}^{\pi} = [\sqrt{4+\pi^2}-2\ln\left({\frac{2+\sqrt{4+\pi^2}}{\pi}}\right)]-[\sqrt{4+\pi^2/9}-2\ln\left({\frac{2+\sqrt{4+\pi^2/9}}{\pi/3}}\right)]$

now is it right?

ineedhelpnow said:
= [\sqrt{4+x^2}-2\ln\left({\frac{2+\sqrt{4+x^2}}{x}}\right)]_{\pi/3}^{\pi} = [\sqrt{4+\pi^2}-2\ln\left({\frac{2+\sqrt{4+\pi^2}}{\pi}}\right)]-[\sqrt{4+\pi^2/9}-2\ln\left({\frac{2+\sqrt{4+\pi^2/9}}{\pi/3}}\right)]$

now is it right?

Yes, now it is equivalent to the value I gave, which I verified with W|A before posting.

Related to Further applications of integration

What is integration used for in science?

Integration is a mathematical tool used to calculate the area under a curve, and is frequently used in science to determine various quantities such as volume, mass, or concentration. It also has applications in physics, biology, and economics, among other fields.

How is integration used in physics?

In physics, integration is used to calculate the work done by a force, the center of mass of an object, and the moment of inertia. It is also used to solve differential equations and model physical phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and fluid flow.

What are some examples of integration in biology?

In biology, integration is used to determine the rate of change of a population, to measure the amount of a substance in a given area, and to analyze biological processes such as photosynthesis and enzyme kinetics. It is also used in bioinformatics to analyze and interpret large datasets.

How does integration play a role in economics?

In economics, integration is used to calculate consumer and producer surplus, to determine the area under a demand or supply curve, and to analyze the impact of taxes and subsidies on market equilibrium. It is also used in economic forecasting and optimization problems.

What are some real-world applications of integration?

Integration has countless real-world applications, including calculating the area of irregular shapes, determining the amount of medication in a patient's bloodstream, analyzing stock market trends, and predicting weather patterns. It is also used in engineering to design structures and optimize processes.