Fundamental Thm of Arithemetic

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the sum of squares of the positive divisors of a number. The steps to solve the problem include finding the formula for a prime power, showing that the formula is multiplicative, and combining these to get a general formula for any number in terms of its prime factorization.
1+1=1
Wow, it has been awhile! China has been fun, but now it is time to get back to the states and also math work! Here is a problem that has been giving me some problems. It reads: [tex] \prod [/tex] from i=1 to n, pi^ai for each i is the canonical representation of a, deduce a formula for the sum of squares of the positive divisors of a. I know what the canonical representation is, so would i just plug in numbers for n, and then from the output just make up a [tex] \sum [/tex] formula? Could anyone provide guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, are you familiar with the formula for the sum of the divisors of a? (not the squares). If so, this is a very closely related problem.

If not, here are the basic steps. Let f(a)=sum of squares of divisors.

1)find a formula when a is a prime power, that is if a=p^b, where p is prime, what is f(p^b)? If you need another hint, what are the divisors of p^b?

2)if m and n are relatively prime, show f(nm)=f(n)f(m), that is, f is multiplicative. If you have trouble with the general case here, try a simplified form first, where m and n are prime powers. This should help you see how to get the divisors of nm from the divisors of m and the divisors of n.

3)Combine the above to get a feneral formula for f(a) in terms of it's prime factorization.

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic is definitely an important concept to keep in mind when dealing with divisibility and prime factorization. It sounds like you have a challenging problem on your hands, but don't worry, I'm sure you'll figure it out!

To solve this problem, it may be helpful to start by breaking down the canonical representation of a into its prime factors. For example, if a = 12, then its canonical representation would be 2^2 * 3^1. From there, you can use the fact that the sum of squares of the divisors of a number can be calculated by taking the product of each prime factor raised to the power of 2, plus 1, and then multiplying all of those values together.

In the case of a = 12, the sum of squares of its divisors would be (2^2 + 1) * (3^1 + 1) = 3 * 4 = 12.

Hope this helps and good luck with your math work and transition back to the states!

Related to Fundamental Thm of Arithemetic

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic?

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic, also known as the Unique Factorization Theorem, states that every positive integer greater than 1 can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers. In other words, every composite number can be broken down into a unique combination of prime numbers.

2. Why is the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic important?

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic is important because it is the basis for many other mathematical concepts, such as the Euclidean algorithm and the concept of greatest common divisor. It also helps us understand the structure of numbers and their relationships with one another.

3. Is the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic applicable to negative numbers?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic only applies to positive integers. This is because negative numbers do not have a unique prime factorization. For example, both -2 and 2 can be considered prime factors of -4, leading to different factorizations.

4. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic be proven?

Yes, the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic can be proven using mathematical induction. However, the proof is quite complex and requires a deep understanding of number theory.

5. How does the Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic relate to the concept of prime numbers?

The Fundamental Theorem of Arithmetic states that every composite number can be broken down into a unique combination of prime numbers. Therefore, prime numbers are the building blocks of all other numbers, making them essential to the theorem.