Fundamental therom problem

• Thread starter Alem2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fundamental
In summary, Tide's post was immensely helpful and practically gives you the entire solution. Differentiate the equation!
Alem2000
My professer told us to think about this problem. I have the answer in my solutions manual but I want to know how I would go through the thinking process to solve it...(and others like it) The question says

"Find a function f and a number a such that

[tex]
6+\int_{a}^{x}\frac{f(t)}{t^2}dt=2\sqrt{x}
[/tex]
for all x greater than zero"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate the equation!

There was no point in that reply..
Anyone out there that can really help?

Last edited:
Alem2000 said:
Anyone out there that can really help?

Begging your pardon but I told you exactly what you need to do!

WTF? Tide's post was immensely helpful and practically gives you the entire solution.

I second that. Tide's given you a correct way to solve the problem.

Since you did not grasp what Tide said, here's another way of looking at it:
Your equation is equivalent to
[tex]\int_{a}^{x}\frac{f(t)}{t^2}dt=2\sqrt{x}- 6[/tex]

Do you notice that the right hand side is a constant?

The right hand side is not a constant...

Muzza said:
The right hand side is not a constant...

OMIGOD! I stared at that repeatedly and saw [itex]2\sqrt{2}[/itex].

Alem2000: as Tide said, differentiate both sides:
The derivative of [tex]\int_{a}^{x}\frac{f(t)}{t^2}dt[/tex] is [tex]\frac{f(x)}{x^2}[/tex] (that's the "fundamental theorem your title referred to) and the derivative of [tex]2\sqrt{2}= 2(x^{1/2})[/tex] is [tex]x^{-1/2}[/tex].

Set them equal and solve for x.

:smile: :smile: :smile: OOOOOO! I think I made that way more complicated then it was. Thanks a lot Tide...sorry about the frustration :wink:

I did it again! I wrote [tex]2\sqrt{2}[/tex] when I meant [tex]2\sqrt{x}[/tex]!

And now you are throwing factorial signs about, tisk tisk ;)

Related to Fundamental therom problem

What is the Fundamental Theorem Problem?

The Fundamental Theorem Problem is a mathematical concept that deals with finding the relationship between differentiation and integration in calculus. It states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function.

How is the Fundamental Theorem Problem used?

The Fundamental Theorem Problem is used to solve problems in calculus, such as finding the area under a curve or the slope of a tangent line. It is also used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving rates of change.

Who discovered the Fundamental Theorem Problem?

The Fundamental Theorem Problem was first discovered by Isaac Newton and Gottfried Leibniz in the late 17th century. They independently developed the concept of calculus, which includes the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

What is the difference between the first and second parts of the Fundamental Theorem Problem?

The first part of the Fundamental Theorem Problem states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the original function. The second part states that the integral of a derivative is equal to the original function plus a constant. In other words, the first part deals with differentiation and the second part deals with integration.

Are there any limitations to the use of the Fundamental Theorem Problem?

While the Fundamental Theorem Problem is a powerful tool in calculus, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for continuous functions and certain types of discontinuous functions. In addition, it does not apply to multivariable calculus or complex analysis.