Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2, multivariable integration?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the second derivative of a function represented by the integral of a given expression. The solution involves using the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Chain Rule. The final result is obtained by plugging in the given value into the derivative of the function.
mleeno

Homework Statement

problem in attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get f'(x) as sqrt(1 + (sinx)^2) and derive that to get the second derivative but as far as that I don't really get the concept behind this question

will y be another function I have to use chain rule with?
or is it just a variable and I plug in pi/6 normally?

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    6.4 KB · Views: 456
Physics news on Phys.org
mleeno said:

Homework Statement

problem in attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can get f'(x) as sqrt(1 + (sinx)^2) and derive that to get the second derivative but as far as that I don't really get the concept behind this question

will y be another function I have to use chain rule with?
or is it just a variable and I plug in pi/6 normally?

What is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dy}g(y)\,?[/itex]

SammyS said:
What is [itex]\displaystyle \frac{d}{dy}g(y)\,?[/itex]

g'(y) = f(y) ?
g'(y) = f(y)y'

I think I'm thinking about this too hard...

mleeno said:
g'(y) = f(y) ?
g'(y) = f(y)y'

I think I'm thinking about this too hard...
I intended to show the image of your problem in my previous post.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42829&d=1326954373.jpg

By the Fund. Thm. of Calc., Pt. 2: g'(y) = f(y). What you use for the independent variable is unimportant, so [itex]g'(x)=f(x)\,.[/itex]

Then what is [itex]g''(x)\,?[/itex]

BTW: Welcome to PF !

[itex]g(y)= \int_3^y f(x)dx[/itex] is NOT a multiple variable function, it is a function of the single variable y.

The "fundamental theorem of Calculus" says that g'(y)= f(y). The second derivative of g is simply the first derivative of f.

[itex]f(u)= \int_0^u\sqrt{1+ t^2}dt[/itex] where [itex]u= sin(x)[/itex]. Now apply both the fundamental theorem of Calculus and the chain rule.

AH so

simply f'(pi/6) = g''(pi/6)

thanks for the help everyone.

I got something like

f'(x) = (cosx)sqrt(1 + (sinx)^2)

plugging in f'(pi/6) = cos(pi/6)sqrt(1 + (sin(pi/6)^2))

which should be [sqrt(3)/2]*sqrt(5/4) ?

Related to Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2, multivariable integration?

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2 states that if a function is continuous on an interval [a, b], then the definite integral of its derivative from a to b is equal to the difference of the function evaluated at b and a.

2. How is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2 different from Pt 1?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 1 is concerned with finding the definite integral of a function, while Pt 2 is concerned with evaluating the definite integral using the function's derivative.

3. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2 be applied to multivariable functions?

Yes, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2 can be applied to multivariable functions by using the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable.

4. What is the significance of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2?

The significance of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2 is that it provides a powerful tool for evaluating definite integrals and finding the area under a curve. It also connects the concepts of derivatives and integrals, which are fundamental in calculus.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2?

Yes, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus Pt 2 has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and finding areas and volumes of irregular shapes.