Fundamental Theorem Calc: Find f(4) from Integral

In summary, the conversation is about a question in an AP Calculus class regarding the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus. The question involves finding f(4) using the integral (lower limit = 0, upper limit = x) f(t) dt = xcos(pi(x)). The conversation discusses taking the derivative of both sides of the equation and the first part of the FTOC. The conversation also mentions looking up the FTOC in a textbook and clarifies that differentiation and integration are inverse operations.
Jet1045
Alright, so in my AP calc class we just got a worksheet and one of the questions i don't undersnat at allll! We have been learning about the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus recently, so I am guessing that is what this is about.

Homework Statement

Find f(4) if the integral (lower limit = 0 , upper limit = x) f(t) dt = xcos(pi(x))2. The attempt at a solution

Honestly I don't even know where to start. If you are given an integral, how do you get the original equation f(t) to even insert 4 into?

Sorry if the question is unclear, I am unsure how to actually type out integrals and such on this forum, if someone can give me a link explaining how to , i can rewrite the question so it is easier to understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
Take the derivative of both sides!

Click on the equation below to see the LaTeX I used.
[tex]\int_0^x f(t)dt = x cos(\pi x)[/tex]

Thank Mark! That will make it a lot easier to ask questions in the future :)

and surupidmath, you mean to take the derivative of xcos(pi(x))?
If I do I get

[tex]
cos(\pi x) - xsin(\pi x)\pi
[/tex]

can i unsert 4 into that now?

What does the first part of the FTOC say? look it up.

Well we just started learning about the fundamental theorem, so therefore my knowledge on the subject is pretty limited. Looking it up online will most likely just confuse me more hence why I am asking questions here.

All i need to know is if by taking the derivative of xcos(pi(x)) does that give the original function , f(t), for which i can put 4 into.

If you differentiate both sides of this equation:
[tex]\int_0^x f(t)dt = x cos(\pi x)[/tex]

you get
[tex]cos(\pi x) - \pi xsin(\pi x)[/tex]
on the right side.

What do you get on the left side of this equation?

I'm assuming you have a textbook that talks about the FTC. See what it says there.

Jet1045 said:
Well we just started learning about the fundamental theorem, so therefore my knowledge on the subject is pretty limited.[/qutoe]
Usually, the first thing you see on learning about something is a statement of what it is!

Are you saying you have not yet seen a statement of what the "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus" says?

Looking it up online will most likely just confuse me more hence why I am asking questions here.

All i need to know is if by taking the derivative of xcos(pi(x)) does that give the original function , f(t), for which i can put 4 into.
The "Fundamental Theorem of Calculus" has two parts:
1) If F(x) is a differentiable function then its derivative is integrable and
[tex]\int_a^b \frac{dF}{dx} dx= F(b)- F(a)[/tex].

2) If f(x) is an integrable function then its integral
[tex]F(x)= \int_a^x f(t)dt[/tex]
is differentiable and
[tex] f(x)= \frac{dF}{dx}[/tex]

Essentially it says that differentiation and integraton are "inverse" operations.

Related to Fundamental Theorem Calc: Find f(4) from Integral

1. What is the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is a theorem that links the concepts of differentiation and integration in calculus. It states that if a function is continuous on a closed interval, then the area under the curve of the function can be calculated by finding the antiderivative or indefinite integral of the function evaluated at the endpoints of the interval.

2. How do you use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus to find f(4) from an integral?

To find f(4) from an integral, you first need to find the antiderivative of the function being integrated. Then, evaluate the antiderivative at the upper limit of integration (in this case, 4), and subtract it from the antiderivative evaluated at the lower limit of integration (usually 0). This will give you the value of f(4).

3. Can the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus be applied to all functions?

No, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus can only be applied to continuous functions, meaning that there are no breaks or jumps in the graph of the function. It also must be applied to functions that are defined on a closed interval.

4. Why is it important to understand the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus is important because it provides a powerful tool for calculating the area under a curve and can be used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and economics. It also serves as the foundation for more advanced concepts in calculus such as the Mean Value Theorem and the Second Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus?

Yes, the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus has many practical applications in fields such as economics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to calculate the work done by a variable force or to determine the average velocity of an object over a given time interval. It is also used in the calculation of areas and volumes in geometry and in the estimation of probabilities in statistics.