Fundamental Frequencies and Standing Waves

In summary, the evening consisted of trying to understand questions about fundamental frequencies and labelling nodes and anti nodes in an air column and then finding links that explained it better.
Lil ze
Evening,

Ive been having some trouble with questions about fundamental frequencies and labelling nodes and anti nodes in an air column.

for example :a tuning fork is placed above a glass tube and then the sound of the air column is adjusted by raising or lowering the glass tube in the water until a loud sound is heard.

I don't understand where (and how) the Nodes and Antinodes are. Secondly, isn't the fundamental frequency half a wavelegnth ie distance between 2 nodes.

thanks a lot again

Physics news on Phys.org
The fundamental frequency in this context is the lowest frequency that causes a resonance (and hence standing waves). Picture a guitar string. When plucked just right, it will vibrate at its fundamental frequency, which is where the two nodes are at the ends (obviously since the string is tied to the guitar solidly at the ends), and there is one single node (the maximum amplitude part of the string side-to-side excursion) in the middle of the string. That is the fundamental mode, and the lowest frequency standing wave that you can form in that physical situation.

But think about what that string looks like as it vibrates back and forth. When it's at maximum amplitude one way, what is its shape? How much of a sine wave does it look like? How long would a full sine wave cycle be where part of the full cycle matches the shape of the guitar string? You have it mostly correct in your question above, but don't say "the fundamental frequency is half a wavelength". Say instead that at the fundamental mode, there is half a wavelength between the two nodes, and an antinode in the middle. So if you know the velocity of propagation of the wave on the string (from the string tension and linear mass density), you can figure out what the fundamental frequency is, because you know how long a half a wavelength is. Makes sense?

Thanks you guys, that really did help sort my probs out,iam starting to get my head around the questions.

Hootenanny, that link was great, had exactly the practical applications i was looking for, and berkeman that's helped me picture what it looks like :D

I had a look on that website if there was anything about periods and oscilloscope graphs on the website, but it doesn't seem to be there. do u know any other good physics revision websites about ? there really don't seem to be many. It would make more practical sense if i could look up the website then come here if iam stil stuck :D

cheers guys :D

What type of things are you looking for?

Firstly what is a period and what's its relavence, and then I've had many questions asking me to draw what would be on an an osciloscope. With a certain time base and amplitude.

Oh and slightly off topic, in the symbol for the electrical cell (---|i--) which one is the postive one and which one is the negative ?

thanks

I can't think of any websites off hand. And I don't like drawing oscillographs myself, so I'm no help there I'm afraid.

As for the time period (T), it is the time taken for one wavelength to pass a fixed point. It is the reciprocal of the frequency;

[tex]T = \frac{1}{f}[/tex]

Hopefully, now you've seen the relationship between the time period and frequency you can see its relavence.
Lil ze said:
Oh and slightly off topic, in the symbol for the electrical cell (---|i--) which one is the postive one and which one is the negative ?
The longer one is the positive one, the shorter one is the negative one.

For fun with oscilloscopes, go to the LeCroy website, click on a scope family, and click on Test Drive...

http://www.lecroy.com/

Hey guys, had my physics exam today and it went well, nothing on periods or air columns! so hopefully I've not screwed up and really nailed it to get a good A. thanks for ur help guys,it was invalueable. (Y) :D

Lil ze said:
Hey guys, had my physics exam today and it went well, nothing on periods or air columns! so hopefully I've not screwed up and really nailed it to get a good A. thanks for ur help guys,it was invalueable. (Y) :D

It was a pleasure, I'm gald that you felt it went well. :smile: Fingers crossed for the results! Be sure to let us know :biggrin:

Related to Fundamental Frequencies and Standing Waves

What are fundamental frequencies and standing waves?

Fundamental frequencies refer to the lowest frequency at which a system can vibrate and produce a standing wave. Standing waves are patterns of vibration that occur when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other.

How are fundamental frequencies and standing waves related to each other?

Fundamental frequencies are essential for the formation of standing waves. The fundamental frequency determines the wavelength of the standing wave, while the standing wave pattern is determined by the boundary conditions of the system.

What are some real-world examples of standing waves?

Standing waves can be observed in various systems, such as musical instruments, bridges, and buildings. In musical instruments, standing waves are responsible for producing different notes and tones. In bridges and buildings, standing waves can cause structural damage if they are not properly accounted for in the design.

How do fundamental frequencies and standing waves affect sound?

The fundamental frequency of a sound wave determines its pitch. Standing waves in musical instruments can amplify certain frequencies, resulting in a more prominent and sustained sound. In rooms or spaces, standing waves can cause sound to be louder in some areas and quieter in others, affecting the overall sound quality.

How can fundamental frequencies and standing waves be calculated and measured?

The fundamental frequency of a standing wave can be calculated using the formula f = v/2L, where f is the frequency, v is the speed of the wave, and L is the length of the standing wave. This can be measured using specialized equipment, such as a spectrometer or an oscilloscope. In musical instruments, the fundamental frequency can also be determined by changing the length or tension of the string or column of air.