Functional Equation with Real Numbers: Solving for f(x) on R->R

• Thread starter DorelXD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functional
In summary, the problem is to find a function f(x) such that for all x and y real numbers, af(x+y) + bf(x-y) = cf(x) + dy, given that a ≠ b and c ≠ 0. By plugging in different values for x and y, the attempt at a solution leads to a system of linear equations. By manipulating these equations, it is found that if a + b ≠ c then f(x) = 0, and if a + b = c then f(x) is an arbitrary function. The solution is found to be f(x) = (a+b)/c * f(0) + (d(a+b)/c(a-b)) * x.
DorelXD

Homework Statement

Let [itex] a.b,c,d [/itex] be real numbers such that [itex] a ≠ b [/itex] and [itex] c ≠ 0 [/itex], find f:R->R for which this statement holds:

[tex] af(x+y) + bf(x-y) = cf(x) + dy [/tex] , for all x,y real numbers.

Homework Equations

Well this is a functional equation, that I know. I have less experience with those type of euqations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to plug in some values:

for x = y: [tex] af(2x)=cf(x)+dx-bf(0) [/tex]

for x = y = 0 :[tex] af(0) + bf(0) = cf(0) [/tex]

I don't know what to do next, and how could these facts can help me. Can anyone help me solve this problem, please :D ?

Physics news on Phys.org
DorelXD said:

Homework Statement

Let [itex] a.b,c,d [/itex] be real numbers such that [itex] a ≠ b [/itex] and [itex] c ≠ 0 [/itex], find f:R->R for which this statement holds:

[tex] af(x+y) + bf(x-y) = cf(x) + dy [/tex] , for all x,y real numbers.

Homework Equations

Well this is a functional equation, that I know. I have less experience with those type of euqations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to plug in some values:

for x = y: [tex] af(2x)=cf(x)+dx-bf(0) [/tex]

If you set [itex]y = -x[/itex] in the functional equation, you will get a second linear equation which [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]f(2x)[/itex] must satisfy.

Do these linear simultaneous equations have a unique solution? Are the resulting expressions for [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]f(2x)[/itex] consistent, or do you have to impose further conditions on [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]d[/itex]?

for x = y = 0 :[tex] af(0) + bf(0) = cf(0) [/tex]

This tells you that if [itex]a + b = c[/itex] then [itex]f(0)[/itex] is arbitrary, and if [itex]a + b \neq c[/itex] then [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex].

pasmith said:
If you set [itex]y = -x[/itex] in the functional equation, you will get a second linear equation which [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]f(2x)[/itex] must satisfy.

Do these linear simultaneous equations have a unique solution? Are the resulting expressions for [itex]f(x)[/itex] and [itex]f(2x)[/itex] consistent, or do you have to impose further conditions on [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], [itex]c[/itex] and [itex]d[/itex]?

This tells you that if [itex]a + b = c[/itex] then [itex]f(0)[/itex] is arbitrary, and if [itex]a + b \neq c[/itex] then [itex]f(0) = 0[/itex].

Unless f is identically 0 we must have a+b = c. Just put y = 0 in the functional equation to see why.

Ray Vickson said:
Unless f is identically 0 we must have a+b = c. Just put y = 0 in the functional equation to see why.

The interesting case is [itex]a + b \neq c[/itex] and [itex]d \neq 0[/itex].

pasmith said:
The interesting case is [itex]a + b \neq c[/itex] and [itex]d \neq 0[/itex].

If ##a+b \neq c## then ##f(x) \equiv 0##. To see this, put y = 0 to get
[tex] (a+b) f(x) = c f(x)[/tex]
which is supposed to hold for all values of x. If ##f(x_0) \neq 0## then ##a+b = c##.

Thank you all for your hints! I managed to solved. You guys are the best!

DorelXD said:
Thank you all for your hints! I managed to solved. You guys are the best!

Just for interest: what is your solution?

First, I noticed a subtle "symmetry" in the equation, I don't know how to call it otherwise. So I plugged -y instead of y and I got the system:

[tex] af(x+y) + bf(x-y) = cf(x) +dy [/tex]
[tex] af(x-y) + bf(x+y) = cf(x) - dy [/tex]

Then, I played a little with the system. I won't post the whole the whole steps because it's only a little algebra. But, I will tell you what I tought: I wanted to get rid of f(x+y). So I mutliplyed the first equation by b and the second by a, the I substracted the second equation from the first, and it led me to:

[tex] (b^2-a^2)f(x-y) = c(b-a)f(x) + d(b+a)y [/tex] .

Next I plugged x , instead of y , and I got that:

[tex] f(x) = \frac{a+b}{c}f(0)+\frac{d(a+b)}{c(a-b)}x [/tex]

That function f(x) verifies the initial conditions. And that's it.. :D

Related to Functional Equation with Real Numbers: Solving for f(x) on R->R

1. What is a functional equation?

A functional equation is an equation that involves a function or functions as variables. It relates the input values to the output values of a function and can be used to find the unknown function.

2. What are the applications of functional equations?

Functional equations have many applications in mathematics, physics, engineering, and other fields. They can be used to model real-world problems, optimize processes, and prove theorems in various areas of study.

3. How is a functional equation different from a regular equation?

The main difference between a functional equation and a regular equation is that a functional equation involves a function or functions as variables, while a regular equation involves only numbers or variables.

4. What are the different types of functional equations?

There are several types of functional equations, such as linear, quadratic, logarithmic, exponential, and trigonometric. Each type has its own unique properties and methods for solving.

5. How do you solve a functional equation?

The method for solving a functional equation depends on its type. Some equations can be solved algebraically, while others require advanced techniques such as calculus or complex analysis. It is important to identify the type of equation and choose the appropriate approach for solving it.