Functional Derivative of Long Range Dipole Interaction Energy

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with finding the functional derivative of an expression in their work on phase field modeling of ferroelectrics. They are specifically stuck on line P, where they are trying to simplify the equation to get it into the final form shown in picture 2. They have attempted several approaches, including separating the exponential into real and imaginary parts, but are unsure if they can do so due to n being a function of g. They are asking for assistance as they have been struggling with this for two days.
Poligon

Homework Statement

Dear all, Good day.

I am currently working on the phase field modeling of ferroelectrics. For this reason, I need to find functional derivative of an expression as presented in attached picture 1.

Then in picture 2, it shows the final form of equation that I am supposed to arrive at.

Homework Equations

I am stuck at line P in attached picture 5. Looking at the equation in line P, if I can include only the exponentials in the integral d^3g, then I can change them to 2*Dirac's delta, and the multiplication of dirac's delta with P' leads to P and performing Fourier transform, I can get the form as shown in attached picture 2. However, I doubt if I can do so because n is a function of g. Can anyone please help me on this? I have been breaking my head trying to figure this out for two days.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt on the question is as attached in picture 3, 4 and 5.

As shown in attached picture 3, line A, B, C, D is how I started. I bring the unit vector n into the integral of P because it is not a function of r, then I separate exponential into cos real part and sin imaginary part. This is to get rid of the magnitude operator.

Then in attached picture 4 and 5, from line E to P is how I am trying to find the functional derivative of F dip wrt P1. I am stuck at line P.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 395
  • 2.png
    2.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 394
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 335
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 325
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 374
Physics news on Phys.org
If I can include only the exponentials in d^3g, then I can change them to 2*Dirac's delta, and the multiplication of dirac's delta with P' leads to P and performing Fourier transform, I can get the form as shown in attached picture 2. However, I doubt if I can do so because n is a function of g. Can anyone please help me on this? I have been breaking my head trying to figure this out for two days.

Related to Functional Derivative of Long Range Dipole Interaction Energy

1. What is the functional derivative of long range dipole interaction energy?

The functional derivative of long range dipole interaction energy is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to calculate the change in energy of a system due to a change in the external electric field. It is represented by the symbol δE/δEext, where E is the total energy of the system and Eext is the external electric field.

2. How is the functional derivative of long range dipole interaction energy calculated?

The functional derivative of long range dipole interaction energy is calculated using the variational principle, which states that the functional derivative of the total energy with respect to the external electric field is equal to zero. This allows for the determination of the equilibrium position and energy of a system under the influence of an external electric field.

3. Why is the functional derivative of long range dipole interaction energy important?

The functional derivative of long range dipole interaction energy is important because it allows for the calculation of the response of a system to an external electric field, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of materials and molecules in the presence of an electric field. This information is useful in various fields such as materials science, chemistry, and physics.

4. How does the functional derivative of long range dipole interaction energy relate to other concepts in quantum mechanics?

The functional derivative of long range dipole interaction energy is related to other concepts in quantum mechanics such as the energy functional, which is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a system. It is also related to the wave function, which is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a system.

5. Are there any practical applications of the functional derivative of long range dipole interaction energy?

Yes, there are many practical applications of the functional derivative of long range dipole interaction energy. It is used in the study of materials and molecules under the influence of an external electric field, as well as in the development of new technologies such as electronic devices and sensors. It is also used in the field of quantum chemistry to calculate the properties of molecules and materials.