Functional derivative expansion (from Chaikin)

In summary, the conversation is about trying to understand how to go from (5.2.30) to (5.2.31) in Chaikin's Principles of Condensed Matter Physics. The first term in (5.2.31) is obtained by taking the second functional derivative of ln(G(phi(x))) and the other term is obtained by taking the product of two first functional derivatives. However, the speaker is struggling to figure out how to get the G(x,x') term in (5.2.31). They are seeking assistance in understanding this concept.
redrzewski
I'm self studying Chaikin's Principles of Condensed Matter Physics.
I'm trying to figure out how to go from (5.2.30) to (5.2.31).

Homework Statement

5.2.30 is the one-loop approx. to the free energy.

I'll denote G0^-1 from the book G
~ Integral(ln(G(phi(x)))

5.2.31 is (as far as I can tell) the 2nd term of the functional taylors expansion of this

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for the first functional derivative (i'll denote δ/δphi(y))

I get 1/G*δG/δ(phi(y))

Taking another δ/δphi(z) and I get:

1/G*δ^2G/δphi(y)δphi(z) for 1 term, which is one of the terms of 5.2.31, once you add in the integrals for the expansion.

However, I just can't get the G(x,x') term in 5.2.31.

For the other term of my expansion, I get instead:
-1/G^2*(δG/phi(y))*(δG/δphi(z))

Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me figure out how to get the G(x,x') term from 5.2.31? I'm really confused and any help would be greatly appreciated.Thank you!

Related to Functional derivative expansion (from Chaikin)

1. What is functional derivative expansion?

Functional derivative expansion is a mathematical technique used in condensed matter physics to describe the behavior of complex systems. It involves expanding the free energy of a system in terms of its order parameters, which are functions of position and time. This expansion allows for the calculation of thermodynamic quantities and the prediction of phase transitions.

2. How does functional derivative expansion differ from other methods?

Functional derivative expansion differs from other approaches, such as mean field theory, by taking into account fluctuations in the system. This makes it more accurate for describing the behavior of complex systems, such as those found in condensed matter physics.

3. What are the limitations of functional derivative expansion?

Functional derivative expansion is a perturbative technique and therefore has limitations in its applicability. It is most accurate for systems near a critical point and may not accurately describe behavior far from this point. Additionally, it may not be suitable for strongly interacting systems.

4. How is functional derivative expansion used in practice?

In practice, functional derivative expansion is used to calculate the free energy of a system and determine its order parameters. This information can then be used to predict phase transitions and other properties of the system. It is commonly used in the study of quantum phase transitions and other complex phenomena.

5. What are some applications of functional derivative expansion?

Functional derivative expansion has a wide range of applications in condensed matter physics, including the study of superconductors, magnets, and polymers. It is also used in other fields such as statistical mechanics and materials science. Additionally, it has potential applications in machine learning and other areas of computational science.