Functional analysis with worked examples

In summary, there was a discussion about introductory functional analysis books and the use of calculus examples to explain different axioms. One person recommended Kreyszig's book, which was described as outstanding but still a bit abstract. Another person suggested Robert Geroch's book, "Mathematical Physics," specifically the last two chapters, as the best introduction to functional analysis. There was mention of good examples and proofs in the book, but it was noted that many functional analysis books tend to overlook the importance of abstraction. Dieudonne's "History of Functional Analysis" was mentioned as a potential resource, but it was noted that it may not be as comprehensive or accessible.
bugatti79
Folks

Are there any introductory functional analysis books which show calculus examples to illustrate the different axioms?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I always though Kreyszig's book was outstanding.

daveb said:
I always though Kreyszig's book was outstanding.

Yes, I have that. Its still a bit abstract...:-)

bugatti79 said:
Yes, I have that. Its still a bit abstract...:-)

Functional analysis itself is abstract; being abstract is its entire purpose (it generalizes many of the objects studied in linear algebra and analysis). Really, Kreyszig is one of the friendliest introductions you're going to find. You really shouldn't be studying it without a background in linear algebra anyway.

Last edited:
ok,

Thanks

Robert Geroch, Mathematical Physics. Last 2 chapters. Best intro to functional I have seen. I don't know about worked examples. There are some very good examples, but also very nice proofs.

The point of functional might be to be abstract, but the word abstract is a verb. Things should be abstracted FROM something. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any functional analysis book that keeps that in mind quite as much as they ought to, except maybe Dieudonne's History of Functional Analysis, but it is not very complete or readable.

homeomorphic said:
Robert Geroch, Mathematical Physics. Last 2 chapters. Best intro to functional I have seen. I don't know about worked examples. There are some very good examples, but also very nice proofs.

The point of functional might be to be abstract, but the word abstract is a verb. Things should be abstracted FROM something. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of any functional analysis book that keeps that in mind quite as much as they ought to, except maybe Dieudonne's History of Functional Analysis, but it is not very complete or readable.

Ok cheers

Related to Functional analysis with worked examples

What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces and linear transformations between them. It is used to analyze the properties and behavior of functions in a mathematical framework.

How is functional analysis applied in real-world scenarios?

Functional analysis is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to model and analyze physical systems, structures, and processes. It is also used in computer science to study algorithms and data structures.

What are some examples of functional analysis in action?

One example of functional analysis is the Fourier transform, which is used to decompose a complex signal into simpler components. Another example is the Laplace transform, which is used to solve differential equations.

What are some key concepts in functional analysis?

Some key concepts in functional analysis include Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, and linear operators. Other important topics include topological vector spaces, normed spaces, and dual spaces.

What are some common techniques used in functional analysis?

Some common techniques used in functional analysis include the Hahn-Banach theorem, the Baire category theorem, and the open mapping theorem. Other techniques include spectral theory, convex analysis, and the application of functional analysis to differential equations.