Functional analysis: Shoe set is not dense in C([a,b])

In summary, the discussion focused on proving that the set S = {f \in C[a,b] | f(t_0) = 0} is not dense in the space C[a,b] with the sup-norm. The approach involved taking a constant function g(x) = Y+1 and calculating the sup-norm of the difference between f and g, showing that it can be greater than any given number Y. However, this approach may not work for all values of t0 and there may be other cases to consider. It was suggested to use a similar argument to show that if f(x) = 1, no function in the subset S can get close to it in sup-norm.
Mixer

Homework Statement

Let [itex] [a,b] \subset \mathbb{R} [/itex] be a compact interval and t0 [itex]\in [a,b] [/itex] fixed. Show that the set [itex] S = {f \in C[a,b] | f(t_0) = 0} [/itex] is not dense in the space [itex]C[a,b][/itex] (with the sup-norm).

Homework Equations

Dense set: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dense_set

sup - norm: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SupremumNorm.html

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to take function f from S and function g from C[a,b] and calculate the sup-norm of the difference of the functions and make it bigger than some number. However I am not able to do so.. I'm not even sure if my approach is correct here. What should be my strategy?

Physics news on Phys.org
For a given number Y, take g(x)= Y+ 1, a constant function. What is d(f, g)?

Thank you for reply!

So are you saying that I should take g(t) = t0 + 1 for all t. Then

[itex]\left\|f - g\right\| = sup_{t \in [a,b]} |f(t) - g(t)| \geq |f(t_0) - g(t)| = |0 - t_0 -1| = |t_0 + 1| [/itex]

Therefore set S is not dense in C[a,b] ?

Mixer said:
Thank you for reply!

So are you saying that I should take g(t) = t0 + 1 for all t. Then

[itex]\left\|f - g\right\| = sup_{t \in [a,b]} |f(t) - g(t)| \geq |f(t_0) - g(t)| = |0 - t_0 -1| = |t_0 + 1| [/itex]

Therefore set S is not dense in C[a,b] ?

I don't think that is quite what he is saying. And you could accidentally have ##t_0=-1## which would wreck your argument. Why don't you just use a similar argument to show that if ##f(x)
\equiv 1## that no ##g## in your subset gets close to it in sup norm?

Related to Functional analysis: Shoe set is not dense in C([a,b])

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces and linear operators. It is used to analyze mathematical functions and their behavior in different spaces.

2. What does it mean for a shoe set to be dense in C([a,b])?

A shoe set is said to be dense in C([a,b]) if every continuous function on the interval [a,b] can be approximated arbitrarily closely by functions in the shoe set. This means that for any given continuous function, there exists a sequence of functions in the shoe set that converges to the given function pointwise.

3. How is the density of a shoe set in C([a,b]) determined?

The density of a shoe set in C([a,b]) is determined by checking if every continuous function on the interval [a,b] can be approximated arbitrarily closely by functions in the shoe set. If this condition is satisfied, then the shoe set is considered dense in C([a,b]).

4. What does it mean if the shoe set is not dense in C([a,b])?

If the shoe set is not dense in C([a,b]), it means that there are certain continuous functions on the interval [a,b] that cannot be approximated by functions in the shoe set. This could be due to the shoe set not containing enough functions or not having the right type of functions to approximate all possible continuous functions on the given interval.

5. How does the density of a shoe set affect its usefulness in functional analysis?

The density of a shoe set is an important factor in functional analysis as it determines the ability of the shoe set to approximate continuous functions on a given interval. A denser shoe set would be more useful in functional analysis as it would allow for a wider range of continuous functions to be approximated. However, even if a shoe set is not dense in C([a,b]), it can still be useful for studying specific types of functions or in certain applications.