Functional analysis and limits

In summary, the conversation is about discussing the convergence of a sequence f_n and finding the limit of ||f_n-1|| for any n. It is noted that the limit is 1 as n tends to infinity, but this does not imply convergence in l^{\infty}. The conversation then goes on to discuss the importance of not taking n to infinity and the concept of pointwise convergence.
dirk_mec1

Homework Statement

http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/8695/38808719uw6.png

Homework Equations

[tex] \lim_n a_n := \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} a_n [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck at exercise (c). Since if n heads to infinity the m doesn't play the role the limit must be one. So the mistake is somewhere on the left and I think it is at the part where both limits are taken at the same time.

Or is the limit 1/2? Can someone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does f_n really converge to 1? What's ||f_n-1|| for any n?

Hint: we have to be careful when we say things like "[itex]f_n \to \textbf{1}[/tex]" nonchalantly. What does "[itex]\to[/itex]" mean in this setting?

Dick said:
Does f_n really converge to 1? What's ||f_n-1|| for any n?
[tex] ||f_n-1|| = \frac{m}{m+n} [/tex] for any n. But if I let n tend to infinity this would go to zero, right? So the limit is one? I guess I miss the point here because the n stands for the nth sequence and the m is just the element in that sequence, right?

If I look in one sequence (so for fixed n) and let m tend to infinity I would always get zero do you mean that?

morphism said:
Hint: we have to be careful when we say things like "[itex]f_n \to \textbf{1}[/tex]" nonchalantly. What does "[itex]\to[/itex]" mean in this setting?

It means keeping m fixed while letting [tex] n \rightarrow \infty [/tex] right?

Last edited:
Don't take n to infinity. Just focus on a single n for a minute. I think the limit m->infinity of m/(m+n) is one, not zero. So I would say ||f_n-1||=1. For ALL n. So I would say while it converges pointwise, the sequence f_n does not converge in l_infinity.

Dick said:
Don't take n to infinity. Just focus on a single n for a minute. I think the limit m->infinity of m/(m+n) is one, not zero. So I would say ||f_n-1||=1. For ALL n.
So there holds: [tex] \lim_{m \rightarrow \infty} f_n =1 [/tex] imlpying pointwise convergence.

So I would say while it converges pointwise, the sequence f_n does not converge in l_infinity.

A sequence converges in [tex]l^{\infty}[/tex] if [tex] \lim_{j \rightarrow} ||f_j-f||_{\infty} \rightarrow 0[/tex] but by noticing the pointwise convergence one can note that this will not head to zero but 1, right?

Last edited:
I think you've got the right idea. I think your first statement should say lim n->infinity f_nm=1. Each term m of the sequences tends to 1 as n->infinity. But that's not enough to make the f_n converge.

Related to Functional analysis and limits

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics that studies vector spaces and linear operators between them. It is centered around the concept of a function, which is a mathematical object that maps elements from one set to another.

2. How is functional analysis related to calculus?

Functional analysis and calculus are closely related as they both deal with the study of functions. However, functional analysis focuses more on the algebraic and geometric properties of functions, while calculus focuses on their analytic properties, such as derivatives and integrals.

3. What are the applications of functional analysis?

Functional analysis has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze complex systems, solve optimization problems, and study the behavior of physical systems.

4. What is the concept of a limit in functional analysis?

In functional analysis, a limit is defined as the value that a function or sequence of functions approaches as the input variable or domain approaches a specific value or point. It is used to study the behavior of functions near a certain point and to define important concepts such as continuity and convergence.

5. How is the concept of a limit used in functional analysis?

The concept of a limit is fundamental in functional analysis as it allows us to analyze the behavior of functions and sequences in a particular set or space. It is used to define important concepts such as continuity, differentiability, and convergence, which are essential in understanding the properties and behavior of functions in a given space.