Function Relations: Seeking Expert Opinion & Resources

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Taylor series and the misunderstanding of its notation. The speaker is corrected and referred to introductory calculus books for more information on Taylor series.
beta23
I'm very sure this is wrong. I think the f^i(x) should be changed to a g^i(x) where g^i(x) is some function (I'm guessing either Gamma or Beta) and that the infinity sign should be changed to a i-->k where k is some arbitrary value. Reason being f^i(x) will always equal zero and j/i! will also always tend to zero.

Besides that I have absolutely nothing to say about this so I was hoping for some expert opinion and perhaps if you could recommend any reading I could do to better my understanding on the subject.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 3051051939.jpg
    3051051939.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 369
Physics news on Phys.org
beta23 said:
I'm very sure this is wrong.

No, you are wrong here. This is nothing but the Maclaurin series (i.e., Taylor series around ##x = 0##) for any infinitely differentiable function.

Orodruin said:
No, you are wrong here. This is nothing but the Maclaurin series (i.e., Taylor series around ##x = 0##) for any infinitely differentiable function.

Thanks a lot Orodruin. Is there any books you can recommend for the Taylor Series?

beta23 said:
Thanks a lot Orodruin. Is there any books you can recommend for the Taylor Series?
So far as I know, every first introduction to calculus has this (including derivation, convergence criteria, etc.)

Related to Function Relations: Seeking Expert Opinion & Resources

1. What is a function relation?

A function relation is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two variables. It shows how one variable (the dependent variable) changes in response to changes in the other variable (the independent variable).

2. How do you determine if a relation is a function?

A relation is a function if each input has exactly one corresponding output. This means that for every value of the independent variable, there is only one possible value of the dependent variable.

3. What is the difference between a linear and nonlinear function?

A linear function is a function where the output changes at a constant rate as the input changes. This results in a straight line on a graph. A nonlinear function, on the other hand, does not have a constant rate of change and does not produce a straight line on a graph.

4. How do you graph a function relation?

To graph a function relation, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane. The input values will be plotted on the x-axis and the corresponding output values will be plotted on the y-axis. Then, you can connect the points to create a visual representation of the function.

5. What are some real-life examples of function relations?

Some real-life examples of function relations include the relationship between temperature and time, the relationship between distance and time for a moving object, and the relationship between the cost of an item and the number of items purchased. These relationships can be expressed as mathematical functions and can be used to make predictions or analyze data.