Full Basis of Angular Momentum Eigenstates

In summary, the problem asks for the full basis of angular momentum eigenstates representing the coupled and uncoupled representations for an atom with two unpaired electrons in s-orbitals. Since the electrons are in s-orbitals, the only relevant angular momentum is spin angular momentum.
Werner Rontgen

Homework Statement

Consider the case of an atom with two unpaired electrons, both of which are in s-orbitals. Write the full basis of angular momentum eigenstates representing the coupled and uncoupled representations

Homework Equations

l=r×p
lx=ypz-zpy
ly=zpx-xpz
lz=xpy-ypx

l+=lx+ily
l-=lx-ily

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to start. If I am correct I already wrote a complete basis for l.

Werner Rontgen said:

Homework Statement

Consider the case of an atom with two unpaired electrons, both of which are in s-orbitals. Write the full basis of angular momentum eigenstates representing the coupled and uncoupled representations

Homework Equations

l=r×p
lx=ypz-zpy
ly=zpx-xpz
lz=xpy-ypx

l+=lx+ily
l-=lx-ily

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to start. If I am correct I already wrote a complete basis for l.

Well, the problem statement says that the electrons are in "s-orbitals". That means that the orbital angular momentum is zero. So the only relevant angular momentum is spin angular momentum, I would think.

Related to Full Basis of Angular Momentum Eigenstates

What is the full basis of angular momentum eigenstates?

The full basis of angular momentum eigenstates refers to a set of quantum states that represent the possible orientations and magnitudes of angular momentum for a given system. These states are characterized by quantum numbers that correspond to the total angular momentum and its projection along a specified axis.

How are angular momentum eigenstates related to the quantization of angular momentum?

The quantization of angular momentum arises from the fact that angular momentum can only take on discrete values, which are represented by the quantum numbers of the angular momentum eigenstates. This quantization is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics.

What is the significance of the full basis of angular momentum eigenstates?

The full basis of angular momentum eigenstates is important because it allows us to describe and understand the behavior of particles that possess angular momentum, such as electrons and atoms. These states provide a complete set of solutions to the Schrödinger equation for systems with rotational symmetry.

How are the angular momentum eigenstates related to each other?

The angular momentum eigenstates are related to each other through the raising and lowering operators, which change the quantum numbers of the states and correspond to the physical processes of increasing or decreasing the angular momentum of a system.

What are some applications of the full basis of angular momentum eigenstates?

The full basis of angular momentum eigenstates has various applications in quantum mechanics, including the study of atomic and molecular spectra, the description of magnetic properties of materials, and the understanding of nuclear structure. These states also play a crucial role in the development of quantum computing and other advanced technologies.