From actual flow rate to normal flow rate

In summary, the individual has developed a simscape model of a pressure regulator valve and is deriving valve parameters from the valve datasheet. They have found an approximate formula to convert the actual flow rate to a normal flow rate and are asking for advice on which pressure to use in the computation. The recommended approach is to use the actual pressure at the inlet (4 bar) and the normal pressure at 1 atm in the formula. This should give accurate results for the normal flow rate at the given inlet and outlet pressures.
serbring
Hi all,

I have developed a simscape model of a pressure regulator valve and I derive valve parameters from the valve datasheet. From the datasheet I get the following valve flow characteristic:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/c/707/3emx.jpg

The flow rate is in normal liters, instead from simscape I get the actual flow rate, therefore I need to convert it. I found the following approximate formula to compute the normal flow rate from the actual one:

Qn = Qa x (Pa/Pn) x (Tn/Ta)

Where:

Qn is the normal flow rate
Pn is the pressure at the normal condition 1 atm
Tn is the temperature at the normal condition 293.15 K
Qa is the actual flow rate
Pa is the actual pressure
Ta is the actual temperature

Is it correct? In my case there is a valve where at the inlet there are 4bar and at the outlet there is 1 bar, so which pressure should I use for the computation of the normal flow rate?
Hopefully I have well explained my problem
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your work with us and asking for feedback. Your approach to converting the flow rate from actual to normal is correct. The formula you have used is a commonly used one for such conversions and should give you accurate results.

In your case, since the inlet pressure is 4 bar and the outlet pressure is 1 bar, you should use 4 bar as the actual pressure (Pa) and 1 atm (equivalent to 1.01325 bar) as the normal pressure (Pn) in the formula. This will give you the normal flow rate at the given inlet and outlet pressures.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to From actual flow rate to normal flow rate

What is the difference between actual flow rate and normal flow rate?

The actual flow rate refers to the volume of fluid that is passing through a specific point in a given amount of time. This can vary depending on factors such as temperature and pressure. Normal flow rate, on the other hand, is the flow rate that would occur under standard conditions of temperature and pressure. It is often used as a reference point for comparing actual flow rates.

How do you calculate the normal flow rate?

The normal flow rate can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas are all directly proportional. This means that if you know the actual flow rate and the actual temperature and pressure, you can use the ideal gas law to calculate the normal flow rate.

Why is it important to convert from actual flow rate to normal flow rate?

Converting from actual flow rate to normal flow rate is important for accurately comparing and analyzing data. Since actual flow rates can vary due to changing conditions, converting to normal flow rate allows for a standardized comparison. It is also necessary for certain calculations and can help ensure the safety and efficiency of systems that involve fluid flow.

What are the units of measurement for normal flow rate?

The units of measurement for normal flow rate are typically standard cubic feet per minute (SCFM) or standard cubic meters per hour (SCMH). These units take into account the standard conditions of temperature and pressure and allow for easy comparison between different systems.

What are some common methods for converting from actual flow rate to normal flow rate?

There are a few common methods for converting from actual flow rate to normal flow rate. One method is to use the ideal gas law, as mentioned earlier. Another method is to use conversion factors based on the ideal gas law. Additionally, some flow meters have built-in conversion capabilities, making it easier to directly measure the normal flow rate.