Frobenius Theorem - Bresar, Theorem 1.4 ....

In summary: Lemma 1.3. where he shows that they have to be real.""But... this follows from the last two lines directly ahead of Lemma 1.3. where he shows that they have to be real."In summary, Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra", discusses finite dimensional division algebras. He asks two questions that readers may find difficult to understand. One is why ##e := v+\frac{i\circ v}{2}i+\frac{j\circ v}{2}j+\frac{k\circ v}{2}k## is a nonzero element in
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Matej Bresar's book, "Introduction to Noncommutative Algebra" and am currently focussed on Chapter 1: Finite Dimensional Division Algebras ... ...

I need help with some aspects of the proof of Theorem 1.4 ... ...

Theorem 1.4 reads as follows:
?temp_hash=82506d1d97a8ee119194f68506d0bce7.png

Questions 1(a) and 1(b)

In the above text by Matej Bresar we read the following:

" ... ... Suppose ##n \gt 4##. Let ##i, j, k## be the elements from Lemma 1.3.

Since the dimension of ##V## is ##n - 1##, there exists ##v \in V## not lying in the linear span of ##i, j, k##.

Therefore ##e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k##

is a nonzero element in ##V## and it satisfies ##i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0##... ... "
My questions are as follows:

(1a) Can someone please explain exactly why ##e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k## is a nonzero element in ##V##?

(1b) ... ... and further, can someone please show how ##e := v + \frac{i \circ v}{2} i + \frac{j \circ v}{2} j + \frac{k \circ v}{2} k## satisfies ##i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0##?Question 2

In the above text by Matej Bresar we read the following:

" ... ... However, from the first two identities we conclude ##eij = -iej = ije##, which contradicts the third identity since ##ij = k## ... ... "I must confess Bresar has lost me here ... I'm not even sure what identities he is referring to ... but anyway, can someone please explain why/how we can conclude that ##eij = -iej = ije## and, further, how this contradicts ##ij = k##?
Hope someone can help ...

Help will be appreciated ... ...

PeterThe above post refers to Lemma 1.3.

Lemma 1.3 reads as follows:

=====================================================

In order for readers of the above post to appreciate the context of the post I am providing pages 1-4 of Bresar ... as follows ...

Attachments

• Bresar - Theorem 1.4.png
    Bresar - Theorem 1.4.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 937
  • Bresar - Lemma 1.3 ... ... .png
    Bresar - Lemma 1.3 ... ... .png
    71.8 KB · Views: 680
  • Bresar - Page 1.png
    Bresar - Page 1.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 583
  • Bresar - Page 2.png
    Bresar - Page 2.png
    66.8 KB · Views: 525
  • Bresar - Page 3 ... ....png
    Bresar - Page 3 ... ....png
    41.3 KB · Views: 557
  • Bresar - Page 4 ... ....png
    Bresar - Page 4 ... ....png
    38.8 KB · Views: 553
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If we assume ##e := v+\frac{i\circ v}{2}i+\frac{j\circ v}{2}j+\frac{k\circ v}{2}k=0## then ##v=-\frac{i\circ v}{2}i-\frac{j\circ v}{2}j-\frac{k\circ v}{2}k##. Now this would imply (in contrast to our assumption) that ##v \in lin_\mathbb{R}\{i,j,k\}## if the coefficients ##\frac{i\circ v}{2},\frac{j\circ v}{2},\frac{k\circ v}{2}## were all real. But this follows from the last two lines directly ahead of Lemma 1.3. where he shows that they have to be real.
(Hint: As a general rule: It's always helpful to ask "what if not" when one tries to understand a reasoning. I do this quasi permanently when I read a mathematical text. It's the most important question of all.)

What bothers me a lot more, is the theorem itself, because it only holds for associative division algebras ##D##, since the octonions build a non-associative division algebra of dimension ##8## over the reals. Thus somewhere in the entire process, there must be a hidden usage of associativity. Where? And why doesn't he mention this? Maybe it's within the line with ##eij##. But somewhere it has to be.

The algebra tower goes like this:
##\mathbb{Q}## - prime field of characteristic ##0##
##\mathbb{R}## - limits gained, field, topological closure of ##\mathbb{Q}##, ##\dim_\mathbb{R} = 1##
##\mathbb{C}## - solvability gained, algebraic closure of ##\mathbb{R}##, ##\dim_\mathbb{R} = 2##
##\mathbb{H}## - commutativity lost, skew-field, ##\dim_\mathbb{R} = 4##
##\mathbb{O}## - associativity lost, division ring, ##\dim_\mathbb{R} = 8##

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
If we assume ##e := v+\frac{i\circ v}{2}i+\frac{j\circ v}{2}j+\frac{k\circ v}{2}k=0## then ##v=-\frac{i\circ v}{2}i-\frac{j\circ v}{2}j-\frac{k\circ v}{2}k##. Now this would imply (in contrast to our assumption) that ##v \in lin_\mathbb{R}\{i,j,k\}## if the coefficients ##\frac{i\circ v}{2},\frac{j\circ v}{2},\frac{k\circ v}{2}## were all real. But this follows from the last two lines directly ahead of Lemma 1.3. where he shows that they have to be real.
(Hint: As a general rule: It's always helpful to ask "what if not" when one tries to understand a reasoning. I do this quasi permanently when I read a mathematical text. It's the most important question of all.)

What bothers me a lot more, is the theorem itself, because it only holds for associative division algebras ##D##, since the octonions build a non-associative division algebra of dimension ##8## over the reals. Thus somewhere in the entire process, there must be a hidden usage of associativity. Where? And why doesn't he mention this? Maybe it's within the line with ##eij##. But somewhere it has to be.

The algebra tower goes like this:
##\mathbb{Q}## - prime field of characteristic ##0##
##\mathbb{R}## - limits gained, field, topological closure of ##\mathbb{Q}##, ##\dim_\mathbb{R} = 1##
##\mathbb{C}## - solvability gained, algebraic closure of ##\mathbb{R}##, ##\dim_\mathbb{R} = 2##
##\mathbb{H}## - commutativity lost, skew-field, ##\dim_\mathbb{R} = 4##
##\mathbb{O}## - associativity lost, division ring, ##\dim_\mathbb{R} = 8##
Thanks for the help fresh_42 ...

You write:

" ... ... If we assume ##e := v+\frac{i\circ v}{2}i+\frac{j\circ v}{2}j+\frac{k\circ v}{2}k=0## then ##v=-\frac{i\circ v}{2}i-\frac{j\circ v}{2}j-\frac{k\circ v}{2}k##. Now this would imply (in contrast to our assumption) that ##v \in lin_\mathbb{R}\{i,j,k\}## if the coefficients ##\frac{i\circ v}{2},\frac{j\circ v}{2},\frac{k\circ v}{2}## were all real. But this follows from the last two lines directly ahead of Lemma 1.3. where he shows that they have to be real. ... ... "

So ... this shows that v must be nonzero ... but I am still not sure why exactly ##e \in v## ... ... can you help ... ?Also ,,, I remain unsure on exactly why/how defining e as

##e := v+\frac{i\circ v}{2}i+\frac{j\circ v}{2}j+\frac{k\circ v}{2}##

implies that

##i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0##?Can you help?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Thanks for the help fresh_42 ...

You write:

" ... ... If we assume ##e := v+\frac{i\circ v}{2}i+\frac{j\circ v}{2}j+\frac{k\circ v}{2}k=0## then ##v=-\frac{i\circ v}{2}i-\frac{j\circ v}{2}j-\frac{k\circ v}{2}k##. Now this would imply (in contrast to our assumption) that ##v \in lin_\mathbb{R}\{i,j,k\}## if the coefficients ##\frac{i\circ v}{2},\frac{j\circ v}{2},\frac{k\circ v}{2}## were all real. But this follows from the last two lines directly ahead of Lemma 1.3. where he shows that they have to be real. ... ... "

So ... this shows that v must be nonzero
It implies ##e \neq 0##. ##v\neq 0## is already guaranteed by the choice of ##v \notin lin_\mathbb{R}\{i,j,k\}##.
... but I am still not sure why exactly ##e \in v## ... ... can you help ... ?
Lemma 1.2.: ##V## is a linear subspace. So with ##v,i,j,k \in V## (##v## by assumption, ##i,j,k## by their definition), hence also ##e = v + c_1\cdot i +c_2 \cdot j +c_3 \cdot k \in V## holds.
Also ,,, I remain unsure on exactly why/how defining e as

##e := v+\frac{i\circ v}{2}i+\frac{j\circ v}{2}j+\frac{k\circ v}{2}##

implies that

##i \circ e = j \circ e = k \circ e = 0##?
We have to use the following rules here:
  • ##u \circ (r \cdot w) = r \cdot (u \circ w)## for all ##r \in \mathbb{R}## and ##u,w \in V##
  • The coefficients ##c_1,c_2,c_3## in the definition of ##e## are all real. (See the last two lines before Lemma 1.3.)
  • Finally ##i \circ j = j \circ k = k \circ i = 0## by their definition and ##u \circ u = -2## for all ##u \in \{i,j,k\}##
Now
$$\begin{align*} i \circ e &= i \circ v + i \circ (c_1\cdot i) + i \circ (c_2\cdot j) + i \circ (c_3\cdot k)
\\ &= i \circ v + c_1 \cdot (i \circ i) + c_2 \cdot (i \circ j) + c_3 \cdot (i \circ k)
\\ &= i \circ v - 2 \cdot c_1
\\ &= iv+vi-2 \cdot (\frac{iv}{2}+\frac{vi}{2})
\\ &= 0\end{align*}$$
It's been now the second time Bresar has hidden the essential hint within these two lines ahead of Lemma 1.3. Would have been a lot easier to see, if he had numbered this as some Corollary. Anyway. I admit it's been a bit tricky to see, but I think it would have helped you a lot to "play" with those formulas on your own: for practice and for the feeling of success if you found out. This way, I thank you for giving me this feeling, but it would have been better placed on your side. I know it's frustrating to star at things with the "knowledge" in mind: 'This should be obvious, why can't I see?' - and be ensured I know this from an uncounted number of own experiences, however, I'm afraid it's part of the game.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
It implies ##e \neq 0##. ##v\neq 0## is already guaranteed by the choice of ##v \notin lin_\mathbb{R}\{i,j,k\}##.

Lemma 1.2.: ##V## is a linear subspace. So with ##v,i,j,k \in V## (##v## by assumption, ##i,j,k## by their definition), hence also ##e = v + c_1\cdot i +c_2 \cdot j +c_3 \cdot k \in V## holds.

We have to use the following rules here:
  • ##u \circ (r \cdot w) = r \cdot (u \circ w)## for all ##r \in \mathbb{R}## and ##u,w \in V##
  • The coefficients ##c_1,c_2,c_3## in the definition of ##e## are all real. (See the last two lines before Lemma 1.3.)
  • Finally ##i \circ j = j \circ k = k \circ i = 0## by their definition and ##u \circ u = -2## for all ##u \in \{i,j,k\}##
Now
$$\begin{align*} i \circ e &= i \circ v + i \circ (c_1\cdot i) + i \circ (c_2\cdot j) + i \circ (c_3\cdot k)
\\ &= i \circ v + c_1 \cdot (i \circ i) + c_2 \cdot (i \circ j) + c_3 \cdot (i \circ k)
\\ &= i \circ v - 2 \cdot c_1
\\ &= iv+vi-2 \cdot (\frac{iv}{2}+\frac{vi}{2})
\\ &= 0\end{align*}$$
It's been now the second time Bresar has hidden the essential hint within these two lines ahead of Lemma 1.3. Would have been a lot easier to see, if he had numbered this as some Corollary. Anyway. I admit it's been a bit tricky to see, but I think it would have helped you a lot to "play" with those formulas on your own: for practice and for the feeling of success if you found out. This way, I thank you for giving me this feeling, but it would have been better placed on your side. I know it's frustrating to star at things with the "knowledge" in mind: 'This should be obvious, why can't I see?' - and be ensured I know this from an uncounted number of own experiences, however, I'm afraid it's part of the game.
Thanks so much for the assistance fresh_42 ... your post was extremely helpful ...

But I need some further help ...

You write:

" ... ... ##u \circ (r \cdot w) = r \cdot (u \circ w)## for all ##r \in \mathbb{R}## and ##u,w \in V## ... ..."

I am having trouble understanding why this is true ...

My thoughts are as follows:##u \circ (r \cdot w) = u (r \cdot w) + ( r \cdot w) u##

##= u( r \cdot w ) + r \cdot ( wu)## ... ... ... ... ... (1)

and

##r \cdot ( u \circ w ) = r \cdot ( uw + wu )##

##= r \cdot (uw ) + r \cdot (wu)## ... ... ... ... ... (2)Now, we require expression (1) to be equal to expression (2) ...

For this to be true we require ...

##u( r \cdot w ) = r \cdot (uw )## ... ... but ... ... why is this true ... the scalar ##r## cannot commute with vectors ##u## or ##w## ... ?Can you help?

Peter***EDIT***

SOLVED?

I have been doning some checking of the axioms for an associative algebra with identity such as a real division algebra D nd have found that a fundamental axiom involving multiplication of elements of D and multiplication by a scalar (i.e. a real ) is the following:

##r \cdot (uw) = ( r \cdot u) w = u ( r \cdot w )##

and this, I think, answers my problem in needing the equality

##u( r \cdot w ) = r \cdot (uw )## Is my reasoning correct?

Peter

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42
Yes, this is correct. To be honest, I hadn't thought about it very much. Because we don't distinguish between left and right division algebras (rings), scalars (elements of ##\mathbb{R}##) can be applied from both sides with identical result (and ##\circ## is defined with ordinary multiplications).

(You're on a good track questioning everything! :thumbup:)

Last edited:
Likes Math Amateur
Thanks for all your help fresh_42 ... it has assisted me a great deal in trying to understand division algebras ...

Peter

Related to Frobenius Theorem - Bresar, Theorem 1.4 ....

1. What is the Frobenius Theorem?

The Frobenius Theorem is a mathematical theorem that provides a necessary and sufficient condition for a system of partial differential equations to have a solution. It was developed by German mathematician Ferdinand Georg Frobenius in the 19th century.

2. What is the significance of Bresar, Theorem 1.4 in the Frobenius Theorem?

Bresar, Theorem 1.4 is an extension of the Frobenius Theorem, which allows for the inclusion of more general types of differential equations. It is often used in applications to solve complex systems of equations.

3. How does the Frobenius Theorem impact scientific research?

The Frobenius Theorem has a wide range of applications in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and economics. It allows for the identification of conditions under which a system of equations has a solution, making it a valuable tool in problem-solving and modeling.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Frobenius Theorem?

The Frobenius Theorem has been used to study the stability of mechanical systems, analyze the flow of fluids, and model economic systems. It is also a crucial component in the development of theories and models in quantum mechanics and relativity.

5. Are there any limitations to the Frobenius Theorem?

While the Frobenius Theorem is a powerful tool in solving systems of equations, it does have some limitations. It only applies to systems of linear equations and cannot be used to find general solutions for non-linear systems. Additionally, it may not be applicable in certain situations where the conditions for the theorem are not met.