Frobenius method for a differential equations

In summary, the student is trying to find a series that will describe the function produced by the differential equation, but is having difficulty doing so. He or she appears to be missing a minus sign in the series for f(x).
xicor

Homework Statement

The function satisfies the differential equation f''(x) = xf(x) and has boundary conditions

f(0) = 1 and f'(0) = 1

Use Frobenius method to solve for f(x) with a taylor expansion of f(x) up to the quartic term a4x4

Homework Equations

f(x) = a0 + a1x + a2x2 + a3x3 + a4x4

f'(x) = a1 + 2a2x + 3a3x2 + 4a4x3

f'(x) = 2a2 + 6a3x + 12a4x2

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have done so far is set the differential equation to zero and applied the series to f''(x) and xf(x) which gave an series of a0x + a1x2 + a2(x3 +2) + a3(x4 + 6x) + a4(x5 + 12x2) = 0. I then set up equations for each power of x which is equal to zero. From the x powers I get a2 = 0, a3 = -a0/6, and a4 = -a4/12. Applying the boundary conditions shows that a0 = 1 and a1 = 1. When I use the values in the equation, the fractions within each power of x cancels each other out and you are left with no series and just a trivial statement of 0 = 0. What am I doing wrong in trying to find a series that describes the function produced by the differential equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hard to say where your error is without seeing more steps. I get results like yours but without the minus signs. I get ##a_0 = 1,\, a_1 = 1,\, a_2 = 0,\, a_3= 1/6,\, a_4=1/12## so either you or I have signs wrong. But either way, that won't give you a zero series when you put them in ##f(x) = a_0+a_1x +a_2x^2+a_3x^3+a_4x^4##.

Well, for example when I do the powers for x, I get the equations

x0: 2a2 = 0 → a2 = 0
x1: a0 + 6a3 =0 → a3 = -a0/6 = -1/6
x0: a1 + 12a4 = 0 → a4 = -a1/12 = -1/12

So when you get the values for the ai constants, you are suppose to apply them to the series for f(x) and not the differential equation? I think my problem is that I applied it to the differential equation and got a series such as:

2a2 + x(a0 + 6a3) +x2(a1+12a4 ) +...

where each fraction in each x power cancels out, whereas they won't if I just apply them to the series for f(x).

For the series f(x), I get 1 + x - (1/6)x3 - (1/12)x4

Last edited:
I still think you have the minus signs wrong. Remember your equation is ##f''(x) - xf(x)=0##, with a minus sign there.

Related to Frobenius method for a differential equations

1. What is the Frobenius method for solving differential equations?

The Frobenius method is a technique used to find a series solution for a special type of differential equation known as a Frobenius differential equation. This method involves assuming a solution in the form of a power series and solving for the coefficients.

2. When is the Frobenius method used?

The Frobenius method is used when the differential equation cannot be solved using other common methods such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients. It is also used when the equation has a singularity, such as a point where the coefficients become infinite.

3. What is a Frobenius differential equation?

A Frobenius differential equation is a second-order linear differential equation with a singularity at one of its points. This means that the coefficients of the equation become infinite at that point, making it difficult to solve using other methods.

4. What are the steps involved in using the Frobenius method?

The first step is to assume a solution in the form of a power series. The series is then substituted into the differential equation, and the coefficients are solved for by comparing the coefficients of the same power of x on both sides. Finally, the series is expanded and the general solution is obtained.

5. Can the Frobenius method be used for all types of differential equations?

No, the Frobenius method can only be used for second-order linear differential equations with a singularity at one of its points. It cannot be used for higher-order equations or equations without a singularity.