Frictionless inclined plane problem

In summary, to find the force needed to keep the block sliding at a constant speed up or down the ramp, you can use the equation F=ma, substituting the given values for mass and friction coefficient. To find the range of forces that keep the block stationary, you can set up the equations ƩFa=0 and ƩFy=0 and solve for the range of forces using the friction coefficient μs.
Chester8990

Homework Statement

A 2.5 kg block is placed on a movable 40° ramp weighing 120 N. The friction
coefficients between the ramp and the block are μk = 0.15 and μs = 0.35. With what
force does the ramp need to be pushed to keep the block

a) sliding at a constant speed up the ramp

b) sliding at a constant speed down the ramp

c) what range of forces keeps the block stationary on the ramp

Homework Equations

The only equations i can think of is F=ma, Ff= μk*mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried resolving the forces into components parallel to the acceleration's direction,
so for a general free body diagram of all the situations

ƩFa=ma= Fgxcos(40)+Ffcos(40)

ƩFy=ma*sin(40)=N-Fgy

Where signs can be changed according to actual situation

That's where i got stuck, I actually have the solution to this problem, but i didn't understand how the answer came about. Can anybody please offer some help? If you want i can also put the solution here

Attachments

• FBD.jpg
    FBD.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
, but i don't think it will be very helpful, as the solution is just the answer to the questions, and not the reasoning behind it.

Hello, thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your equations. To answer the first part of the question, you can set up the equation F=ma for the block, where the force F is the pushing force on the ramp and the acceleration a is the constant speed up the ramp. You can then substitute the values given in the problem, such as the mass of the block and the friction coefficient, to solve for the force needed to keep the block sliding at a constant speed up the ramp.

For the second part of the question, you can use the same equation F=ma, but the acceleration a would now be the constant speed down the ramp. Again, you can substitute the values given in the problem to solve for the force needed.

To find the range of forces that keep the block stationary on the ramp, you can set up the equations ƩFa=0 and ƩFy=0, since the block is not moving. You can then solve for the range of forces by substituting the values given in the problem and using the friction coefficient μs.

I hope this helps clarify the reasoning behind the solution. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Frictionless inclined plane problem

1. What is the frictionless inclined plane problem?

The frictionless inclined plane problem is a physics problem that involves determining the motion of an object sliding down an inclined plane without considering the effects of friction. It is a simplified version of a more complex problem that takes into account the effects of friction.

2. What are the key concepts involved in solving the frictionless inclined plane problem?

The key concepts involved in solving the frictionless inclined plane problem are Newton's laws of motion, trigonometry, and the concept of forces acting on an object. These concepts are used to determine the acceleration and velocity of the object as it moves down the inclined plane.

3. How is the acceleration of the object determined in the frictionless inclined plane problem?

The acceleration of the object can be determined using the formula a = gsinθ, where "a" is the acceleration, "g" is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and θ is the angle of the inclined plane. This formula assumes that there is no friction acting on the object.

4. How does the angle of the inclined plane affect the motion of the object in the frictionless inclined plane problem?

The angle of the inclined plane affects the motion of the object by determining the acceleration and velocity of the object. As the angle increases, the acceleration and velocity of the object also increase. At a certain angle (90 degrees), the object will free fall down the inclined plane with an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2.

5. What are some real-life applications of the frictionless inclined plane problem?

The frictionless inclined plane problem has many real-life applications, such as calculating the motion of objects on a rollercoaster, determining the trajectory of a projectile, and understanding the movement of vehicles on inclined roads. It is also used in engineering and design to optimize the movement of objects on inclined surfaces.