Friction & Rolling Motion: Effects Explored

In summary, the conversation discusses how friction affects the rolling motion of an object and whether having more friction than the required amount can cause the object to spin. It is explained that friction is the resistance to motion and that force is needed to overcome this resistance, resulting in acceleration and an increase in friction. The example of a ball rolling down an incline is used to illustrate how friction changes along the surface and the question is posed whether the friction is greater or less than the required amount for rolling when the ball starts to slide. It is also mentioned that the balance between rolling and sliding friction is a dynamic situation and cannot be maintained perfectly. Ultimately, the ball will move in whichever way has the least resistance.
drragonx
How does friction affect the type of rolling motion of an object. For instance, does having more friction than the required friction for rolling cause the object to spin?

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction is the resistance to motion. Force is required to overcome resistance then acceleration occurs and friction increases.

jerromyjon said:
Friction is the resistance to motion. Force is required to overcome resistance then acceleration occurs and friction increases.
I think you misunderstood me. A typical example is a ball rolling down an igloo from the top. The friction changes as it goes along the surface. So, when the ball starts sliding, is the friction less than or greater than required friction for rolling?

Now I think I understand your question... the line between rolling and sliding, would vary greatly depending I think mostly on the mass of the ball then on the rolling resistance versus the sliding resistance which would be less to slide or more to roll. Similar to a car skidding on ice, braking increases rolling resistance.

Correct me if i am wrong: The ball would spin (rotational>linear) if friction>required OR slid (linear>rotational) if friction<required. Finally, the ball would pure roll (vcm=rw) if friction=required.

It would be a razor sharp line where rolling friction = sliding friction... it is a dynamic situation, any way I think about it there is not a way to maintain a balance there. Even if the ball starts on a surface where these frictions are balanced, sliding would cause some rolling or rolling would cause some sliding. No matter what the ball is going down its just which ever the least resistive way to get there is.

Related to Friction & Rolling Motion: Effects Explored

1. What is friction and how does it affect rolling motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It can affect rolling motion by creating a resistance force that slows down or stops the rolling object.

2. How does the type of surface affect friction and rolling motion?

The type of surface can greatly affect friction and rolling motion. Rough surfaces typically have higher friction, which can slow down rolling motion. Smooth surfaces, on the other hand, have lower friction and can allow for easier rolling motion.

3. What are some real-life examples of friction and rolling motion?

Some real-life examples of friction and rolling motion include a car's wheels rolling on a road, a ball rolling on a grassy field, or a skateboard rolling on a sidewalk. In each of these examples, friction is present and affects the rolling motion of the object.

4. How does friction affect the speed of rolling motion?

Friction can decrease the speed of rolling motion by creating a resistance force. This force acts in the opposite direction of the rolling motion and can slow it down. However, in some cases, friction can also be used to increase the speed of rolling motion, such as in the case of a bowling ball rolling down a lane.

5. Can friction be completely eliminated in rolling motion?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated in rolling motion. It is a natural force that is always present when two surfaces come into contact. However, friction can be reduced by using smoother surfaces or by adding a lubricant, such as oil, between the surfaces.