Friction Problem -- String is tied to a block and a hanging bucket

In summary, the string must be tied to a block in order for the student to add washers to the bucket without moving the block. The coefficient of static friction is 0.42 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.34. The block will accelerate when the final washer is added to the bucket.
Nithya115
USE OF THE PHYSICS FORUMS TEMPLATE IS REQUIRED ON ALL HOMEWORK PROBLEMS. PLEASE COMPLY WITH THIS IN THE FUTURE.

A string is tied to a 4.4 kg block and 120g hanging bucket. Students add 20g washers one at a time to the bucket. The student are unaware that the

coefficient of static friction for the block on the table is 0.42.
A) what is the maximum force of static friction for the block?
Answer: 18.11N
B) how many washers can the students add to the bucket without moving the block?
Answer: 86
C) the coefficient on kinetic friction is 0.34. Calculate the acceleration of the block when the final washer is added to the bucket and the objects start to move...

How do get c)? I got 0.56m/s^2 but the answer in the book is 0.75m/s^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it correct to assume that there is a pulley present somewhere?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Is it correct to assume that there is a pulley present somewhere?

Chet
ya there is a pulley between the bucket and the block. Basically, the block is sitting on the table and there is a pulley at the edge of the table. The bucket is hanging from the string that is on the pulley. its like the usual diagrams.

I also did the same procedure but I am not getting that answer!

Last edited:
Show us how you got your answer? How can we help you if we.don't know the details of what you did?

Chet

Nithya115 said:
ya there is a pulley between the bucket and the block. Basically, the block is sitting on the table and there is a pulley at the edge of the table. The bucket is hanging from the string that is on the pulley. its like the usual diagrams.
Chestermiller said:
Show us how you got your answer? How can we help you if we.don't know the details of what you did?

Chet
a= m2g -Fs/ m1 + m2
a= (1.86 x 9.8) - 15/ (4.4 + 1.86)
a= 0.52m/s^2I got Fs by...
Fs = (0.34)(Fn=4.4x9.8)
= 1.86

I got m2 by...
1. calculating the mass of the washers
20g x 87 washers = 1740g
2. adding the bucket and washers
120g + 1740g = 1860g
3. converted to kg
1860g/1000g=1.86 kg

Your methodology is solid. I get 0.57 m/s2, in rough agreement with your 0.56. The book shows 0.75, but they got the digits interchanged. For the kinetic friction force, I got 14.7 N.

Chet

Just a second confirmation; I get 0.58 m/s2 as well.

Brul said:
Just a second confirmation; I get 0.58 m/s2 as well.
Hi Brul. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Chet

Likes Brul
Hello and thank you!

Chestermiller said:
Your methodology is solid. I get 0.57 m/s2, in rough agreement with your 0.56. The book shows 0.75, but they got the digits interchanged. For the kinetic friction force, I got 14.7 N.

Chet
Thanks. I rounded the kinetic force to 15 which I probably should avoid.

Related to Friction Problem -- String is tied to a block and a hanging bucket

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

2. How does friction affect the movement of the block and bucket?

In this scenario, friction would act on the block and bucket to slow down their movement. It would also cause the string to stretch and experience tension.

3. How do the mass and surface area of the block and bucket affect friction?

The mass and surface area of the block and bucket can affect the magnitude of friction. The greater the mass and surface area, the greater the friction force will be.

4. How does the angle of the string affect friction in this problem?

The angle of the string would affect the direction of the friction force. As the angle increases, the friction force would act more perpendicular to the surface, making it more difficult for the block and bucket to move.

5. How can friction be reduced in this problem?

Friction can be reduced by using a lubricant on the surface of the block or bucket, or by using a smoother string material. Additionally, increasing the angle of the string would also reduce the friction force acting on the objects.